Inaugural brew day with the new "system"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All is going well so far. I am mashed in @ 122°, doing a protein rest for the wheat. In a little bit I'll add some near boiling water to get it up to about 154° and that will sit for about 60 minutes. ]

System is working great so far minus my leaky HLT. Spent 50 bucks on that fitting from my LHBS and it leaks. I'm pissed. They are testing my patience big time.

Pics to come.

congrats! from paper to driveway. You are encouraging me to get my @ss in gear and build up my equipment. Have not had much time lately.

Cool, I can't wait to do the same! Instead of dancing banana:
showimage.php

Anyone ever done a step mash?

I'm hoping I did it right, but to get my temp up to 154°, I have a really thin mash right now. You keep it that way, right?

So right now the status is I'm at exactly 154°, now it sits in saccharification rest for 60 more minutes.

So far so good with the new digs. I did burn the piss out of my hand/arm with some boiling water, but I deserve it when I do stupid ****. I definitely deserved it.

I'm off to buy propane. Then it is beer time and sparge time.

I think in general if you are doing infusion and are doing a protein rest ya start with less water in the rest so when you add boiling water to get to 150ish water it is about right volume wise. Or close anyways. At least I think I read that recently.

UGH. 55% of teh grist being wheat, = multiple stuck sparges. 2 hours of sparging folks. It sucked, but that is what I get!

It is finally almost up to a boil. Efficiency was pretty good despite the horrible sparge (65%).

First hop addition, t minus 30 minutes. :ban:

I just now poured my first brew. A Breckenridge Hefe Proper. Not too shabby.

Dude said:
Anyone ever done a step mash?

I'm hoping I did it right, but to get my temp up to 154°, I have a really thin mash right now. You keep it that way, right?

That's why I decoct to step up. If you want to gain significant rises with infusions, you end up with a pretty thin mash :eek: .

I'm off to buy propane. Then it is beer time and sparge time.

I was always afraid of this. Once I had to sit the tank in warm water to get the last bit of propane out of it. Luckily it lasted through the boil with about 1 or 2 min to spare.

Now I keep a spare cylinder around. :)

Kai

Kaiser said:
That's why I decoct to step up. If you want to gain significant rises with infusions, you end up with a pretty thin mash :eek: .

I was always afraid of this. Once I had to sit the tank in warm water to get the last bit of propane out of it. Luckily it lasted through the boil with about 1 or 2 min to spare.

Now I keep a spare cylinder around. :)

Kai

I have a spare for the grill, but I didn't have anythign better to do during the mash, so I went over and got propane. Needed lettuce anyway. :) And burn ointment. :rockin:

Dude said:
UGH. 55% of teh grist being wheat, = multiple stuck sparges. 2 hours of sparging folks. It sucked, but that is what I get!

Is this a standard problem with wheat? Thinking this could be my first PG. Working on the bill now.

GOD said:
Is this a standard problem with wheat? Thinking this could be my first PG. Working on the bill now.

Yeah, because wheat has no husks. You have to use rice hulls to help filter, but I didn't. I'm a rebel without a clue.....

Anyway, this batch is DUN. And it was a huge success. Target gravity was 1.045, I got 1.046. I have to work out the efficiency numbers later. At any rate, it is damn close to what I wanted.

I'm a happy camper. :rockin:

A few more pics before the brewery is closed for the night....

Chilling...

chillin.jpg

Side view (you can kind of see the home made wort wizard on the CFC)

chillinside.jpg

Next time I brew hopefully I will have a hook or something to hang the CFC on...today was just a test run for everything....ghetto style but slightly upgraded. :p

Already getting a few bubbles in the old airlock....life is good, and hopefully this honey wheat will be a winner for my wife. :ban:

Dude said:

Don't know, boss... but another keg with a small burner under it for a mash tun sounds cool. Add a little water (or not) and turn up the heat. You could even set the keg on some plate steel to keep from scorhing the mash. That's the plans for my three tier once I get all the parts...

Thanks for sharing your brew day with us Dude. For me, who isn't even remotely close to that stage, it was very very cool. :rockin:

I know bandwith can be a precious thing, but I wish more people would document their adventures... and I hope SWMBO enjoys the honey wheat. Keep us posted!

Thanks again!

:mug: Ize

Ize said:
Thanks for sharing your brew day with us Dude. For me, who isn't even remotely close to that stage, it was very very cool. :rockin:

I know bandwith can be a precious thing, but I wish more people would document their adventures... and I hope SWMBO enjoys the honey wheat. Keep us posted!

Thanks again!

I second that! Thanks

Ize said:

Thanks again!

I third dat!

Now I need to finish reading El Pistolero's brew thread...

Yowsa! This WLP320 STINKS!!!!!!

It has a sulphury, methane gas thing going. I'm usually an airlock sniffer, but not this one. Yechh.

Anyone ever used this yeast before (FYI-it is the american wheat strain)?

Dude said:
I just used it a week ago...I did notice that it has more smell to it than most, but it wasn't unpleasant. I thought it smelled kind of sweet actually.

Dude said:
Yowsa! This WLP320 STINKS!!!!!!

It has a sulphury, methane gas thing going. I'm usually an airlock sniffer, but not this one. Yechh.

Not that one. The wheat I made used WLP300.

Ize said:

/quote]

Thanks from me too. My next batch I'll try to have the camera on hand as well. That was a GREAT IDEA DUDE!

Back