Yeast/Stir plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klasikrkade

Reaction score
I have been using a stir plate now for about a year and typically use a starter with calculations using the mr malty tool. Last night I created a 1 liter starter with 100 grams of dme and 2 vials of white labs 007 dry ale yeast. After keeping the 1000 ml flask on the plate for about 18 hours I noticed that instead of the yeast being integrated into the wert the yeast was separated and being thrown around in the flask. After taking it off the plate the yeast settles to the bottom forming the cake. When I attempt to shake it the yeast does not want to completely integrate or mix with the wort and seems to stay separated in suspension.

What gives?

Dry English ale 007 has always had super flocculation for me. To the point of looking like chunks swirling around. Egg drop soup-like. I think it's normal.

It looks like egg drop soup, right? That's totally normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. WLP007 is a highly flocculant yeast and you're seeing proof of it in your starter.

Awesome thanks much guys. Yes it looked like egg drop soup swirling around in the flask. Even when I try to swirl it still seems to drop out. I just decanted a bit and pitched.

What you saw was completely normal for that strain.

When it (or WY1968/WLP002) starts to look like cottage cheese swirling around the flask, the yeast has eaten its way through the starter wort and you're now ready to either cold crash or decant and pitch depending on your brew schedule.

Back