Accidental Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHans3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed my first all grain BIAB recipe a few weeks back (citra pale ale), but I got what I thought was horrible efficiency out of my grain. Based on the feedback from this forum, It sounds like my efficiency was OK, but I diluted my brew without realizing what I was doing. I ended up pulling out a bit of the wort, reboiling it and adding dme I had on hand for yeast starters. And so Accidental Pale Ale was born.

The recipe actually turned out great, and after re-evaluating my process, I'm going to give it another go. After sitting in the keg for a while, the original is losing hop flavor, which was awesome when I first started drinking it. This time around, I am trying to get more hop flavor and a touch more bitterness. I liked the original malt bill, but it needed a touch more bitterness to balance out some of the sweetness. I hope to do this through using more hops, FWHing, and larger late additions. I am also using simcoe this time. Here is the recipe:

9# American 2-Row
1# Wheat
1#Victory

Hop Additions:
.5 oz Citra FWH
.5 oz Simcoe FWH
.25 Citra 60 minutes
.5 oz Citra 5 minutes
.5 oz Simcoe 5 minutes
.5 oz Citra Flameout
.5 oz Simcoe Flameout

WLP001 Fermented in low 60s

From what I've read, FWH additions are similar to 20 minute additions but with more hop flavor coming through. Beersmith has my IBUs at 48.2 with the FWH in as 20 minute additions, which is up from the previous batch's ~35. Does this recipe look like it will get me the hop flavor I am looking for? Any critiques and recommendations are also much appreciated.

Thanks,

CHans

You should dry hop some citra and simcoe. And your FWH additions should be adding more bitterness than the 60 min addition, as opposed to being similar to a 20 min addition

Thanks for the reply. I decided to not fwh and just do late additions. I will be using warrior for bittering. Lhbs guys explained that this will result in a more stable bitterness so I'm not left with an unbalanced beer over time even tho some of the citra may have disappeared.

Going to go play around in beer smith now to figure out a final recipe for this

Back