Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soap vs cream is up to the user. The creams lather super easy and you will need less on your brush than you think you will.

If the misses doesn't like the sandalwood and you need to offload it, let me know. I'm sure we can arrange something.

I never really got behind feather blades. They were ok but they never seemed smooth. Sharp, yes! Smooth, no. And the cost but then I started saying screw it and bought the blacks. Their saving grace is I get 5-7 shaves out of one instead of 3-4 like the AstraSP's which I thought I really liked...

I'll let you know about the scent. For me, anything DE is going to be cheaper than the cartridges and the point of wet shaving is to do it right and take care of my skin, not save money. But even at 30 cents a blade, we're talking about $36/year in blades if I only get 3 shaves per Feather. 6 shaves per blade drops that below $20/year. I can handle those numbers financially if that's the right blade for me.

Yup,

I'm thinking about a slant. I really don't need one, I'm very happy with my Merkur 38c but I may just pick up a used one on Buy/Sell/Trade!

Feathers are the bees knees! Add some Uber & I've being treated better than ever!

P.S. I just kicked the 7th keg of Centennial Blond & want to try adding something different...................... Dry Hop?

I too have been eyeing a slant after discovering the joy of turning my Fatboy up 9... Maybe an r41 or maybe I should just get my straight honed.

Airplanedoc said:
Wow $23.83 for 2 tubs of Eaton shipped to my door is a great deal

I went with sandalwood and Eaton, and a bunch of other stuff. And 6 points per dollar on the rewards credit card. And since I was a new customer, and spent over $50, I got a $100 gift card to restaurants.com.

Pretty insane deal last night.

I was hoping someone with experience could tell me how much better are these Merkur Futur Razors than your average razor? I use a Gillette mach 3 and am not dissatisfied, although, if there is a better option I will gladly spend the money as a good shave is well worth it, I believe. I had never heard of these razors until opening this thread. Most on here seem much more knowledgeable of shaving products than myself ha

I don't know about the Futur specifically, but I get a much better shave, have better complexion, and enjoy shaving much more with a DE than I ever did with a Gillette multiblade cartridge.
+ you can save a ton of money over fusion cartridges. I spend about $1.50/month on blades

I started with a 38C and quickly purchased a Murkur Slant

Not trying to be rude but pretty much any DE razor, adjustable or not will give you a better shave with practice and decent shaving cream/soap. I would not start off with a Futur, I would start off with a plain jane DE razor. The adjustability of the futur adds one more variable to worry about while you are learning and figuring out what brand of blade you like. My suggestion is a Merkur 33C.

I started off on a Merkur 1904 solid bar which is essentially the same head as the 33C but with a different handle. Fairly mild, the learning curve was not bad at all.

I agree with the starting out with an average DE razor. I am still new to it but I started with a $20 razor. It came with 45 blades so it was a great deal. Also keep in mind that there is a learning curve. You'll get used to it but its like learning how to shave all over again.

I also got into it because of the cost. I remember I ran out of my last razor and just didn't want to go buy new ones. So I decided to go this route.

Just dropped off 25 blades covering 12 different blade types at the post office for a guy who is trying out wet shaving for the first time. He's on a different forum, but a couple here sent me some blades when I was first getting started. Figured I'd return the favor.

Just dropped off 25 blades covering 12 different blade types at the post office for a guy who is trying out wet shaving for the first time. He's on a different forum, but a couple here sent me some blades when I was first getting started. Figured I'd return the favor.

Nicely done! I've done that with so many blades that I bought a five pack of, tried twice and didn't like. They would just sit otherwise and someone might really like them!

I've been bearded most of my life, mostly because I prefer a beard, but partly because my skin is quite sensitive and shaving would make me break out in a terrible rash. I shaved the morning of my wedding and spent the first week and a half of our honeymoon looking like I fell in stinging nettle.

I had read about traditional wet shaving working well for people who couldn't use disposables, but was initially put off by the high startup invesment. I did some hunting and finally found a smokin' deal online. In 2006, I bought a Merkur Futur, a midrange Colonel Conk badger brush and stand, Crabtree & Evelyn triple milled sandalwood shave soap in a teakwood bowl, a box of 100 Derby Extra blades and a 15 blade sample pack of Merkur Super, Astra Superior Stainless and Feather New Hi-Stainless, shipped over 4000km to my front door for a little over $100 CAD! (I said it was a smokin' deal)

For the first time in my life, I was able to shave without having intense irritation. I even actually enjoyed shaving. Since then I've tried Merkur Progress and Gillette Fatboy razors, which my wife accidentally got rid of, and a a few different Colonel Conk glycerin soaps. My favorite razor by far would be the Futur. As much as I love the smell of the C&E sandalwood soap, I got a better shave with the CC glycerin soaps, and they're dirt cheap, even if they don't last as long as triple-milled. Another thing I like about the CC soap is that I could buy unscented, melt it in the microwave, add my own essential oils and pour it into any vessel I choose. For a while I kept my soap in a martini glass. :D I liked the other blades, especially the Feathers, but not enough to justify buying more before I finish my big box of Derbys. The Derbys work great and they cost me 14.5¢/shave.

I was hoping someone with experience could tell me how much better are these Merkur Futur Razors than your average razor?

If, by "average razor" you mean a standard double-edge, not much better. It's a bit heavier, which I like, and it gives you the ability to adjust how agressive your edge is. Dialed to 1, you can be very sloppy and not worry much about cutting yourself. If I crank it up to 6, I can go from Grizzly Adams to James Bond without trimming first. The finish is very smooth compared to most other razors, so it can end up getting a bit slippery when it's wet and soapy. I started on the Futur, but it's not necessary and as somebody else already said, it's probably more confusing at first. You can get a standard DE for much cheaper and you may never need to upgrade.

If you mean your average, multi-blade cartridge razor, it's like comparing nighttime to daytime. In the long run you'll save money, get a much better shave and probably actually enjoy it.

I hope this helps.

(sorry for the long post)

I like to think of it more as... Modern razors are for the rich, cause you have to be rich to afford the cartridge refills. You should see the looks on their faces when I tell folks I get a hundred weeks of blades for $35!!!

I've been wet shaving since March of 2012. The skin on my face has never been better. Soft & smooth & very hydrated.

I've felt my skin soak up the lather like a sponge.

Add to that a single sharp blade that doesn't irritate and cuts like a hot knife through butter, & I'm in heaven. ;)

There's something about an Astra SP in a Slim Adjustable on 3 that's magical for my face. I realized this morning why I bought a 100 SPs

Between my 100, well 94, gave a pack away yesterday, and my 100 feathers, I'm set for a few shaves.

Hot bowl, warm brush... dip the brush into the warm water before lathering for the second and third pass and you will be amazed at the awesomeness!

CHefJohnboyardee said:
Hot bowl, warm brush... dip the brush into the warm water before lathering for the second and third pass and you will be amazed at the awesomeness!

Talking to me about the TOBS? I'll give it a shot. I don't think you're going to be getting my Sandalwood.

Waiting until Wednesday to use my freshly honed straight... sigh. Its like getting your grains and hops on Monday and not brewing until the next Sunday!

Haven't looked at all the posts in this thread, but straight is the way to go. I have a new Dovo PrimaKlang and a local made razor(about one hundred years old). Both shave better than any razor I've ever bought as a cartraige. The oldie has a nick in it and still shaves like a pro. By the way I have a old perfect horse leather strop. Not sure if it works better than a new strop, but I love the way it hones for me. As for soap, I use Colonel Conk. My wide likes the sandalwood. .

Mrdunlop said:
Haven't looked at all the posts in this thread, but straight is the way to go. I have a new Dovo PrimaKlang and a local made razor(about one hundred years old). Both shave better than any razor I've ever bought as a cartraige. The oldie has a nick in it and still shaves like a pro. By the way I have a old perfect horse leather strop. Not sure if it works better than a new strop, but I love the way it hones for me. As for soap, I use Colonel Conk. My wide likes the sandalwood. .

Don't let her see you refer to her as your "wide."

When I get the time I will pick up the straight again. I just don't have the time. I have the patience to do it right, but that makes me late!!

Gentlemen, I am sorry to admit that I only made it ~10 pages into the thread before jumping here to the end. What's a safe/sound first razor/blade combo for a first time safety razor user? I'm OK with a cheaper razor, but I don't want to "outgrow" it too quickly. Blades: I'm completely lost. I'm sure there are many answers to my question -- I'm just looking for a starting point! Thanks much!

Edit: I'm asking for a DE recommendation. I'm not sure if I communicated that correctly or not...

A Gillette New, Ball End Tech, a Tech, a fat handled tech, a Superspeed, a red tip, a blue tip, a black tip, etc etc... They can be had for under $20 most under $10... A Merkur 1904 costs $25 new. They will all get the job done. Blades are all prederence. Personna Reds, AstraSP's, Sharks, Shark Chrome and Derby are considered beginner/user friendly blades but not every blade is for everyone...

a VDH starter from Walmart can get you soap, a brush and a bowl for cheap. Otherwise Omega makes some nice inexpensive boards. Proraso makes a nice soap thats cheaper and very shave worthy. Same with Arko and Palmolive. bath and Body works have CO Bigelow creams and they are the same as proraso. Omega branded soaps/creams are also proraso... It is just that popular.

I think I might save my cash and get that Ikon open comb 2013 model. Maybe its time to go stainless.

If you have the time to dedicate to practice both stropping and not cutting your face then go for it!! Even if its a resto we need pics!

Ace_Club said:
Go for it. I've three straights, but due to children haven't had the time to put in the practice.

Yeah...I have two under three. Is there an adjusting time between DE and straight shaving like there was going from a cartridge razor to a DE?

I would be willing to try it on the weekends or when I have time in the mornings.

jtkratzer said:
Yeah...I have two under three. Is there an adjusting time between DE and straight shaving like there was going from a cartridge razor to a DE?

I would be willing to try it on the weekends or when I have time in the mornings.

I'll tell you when I find out. I have four, two of which are five months. :drunk:

jtkratzer said:
Need some suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid in a straight. I'd like one where I have to strop and hone, not the single edge type.

Try Whipped dog straights. Good prices for good razor kits.

5 month old twins...nuts. What was the birth date. I have a son that has to be close to their date.

I'll check out the Whipped Dog. The vintage blades have their appeal to go with my old DEs.

5 month old twins...nuts. What was the birth date. I have a son that has to be close to their date.

I'll check out the Whipped Dog. The vintage blades have their appeal to go with my old DEs.

8/10/12

I can't speak highly enough of Whipped Dog. The vintage blades are excellent.

Back