Rhino v. Carbon - 0:1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayerischBier

Reaction score
Closet brewers, bathroom fermentors, girlfriends/spouse loves your beers but hate the smell and the gases of that gritter yeast?
We need help!!

digged a bit around and found that a carbon filter w activated charcoal is good for water BUT also great for those smelly fermentation gases.

here is a photo story of how two left over 5l keg bongs, electric tape, the tube of your hydrometer, some activated carbon and filter pads (from the pet store), left-overs from the real carbon filter (swaped refrigerator quick connects to barbed tubing fittings), and some tubing, turn into a fermentation carbon filter.
At the end I plugged it to the carboy with rubberband and a bag.
img_01971-57222.jpg

img_01981-57223.jpg

img_01991-57224.jpg

img_02001-57225.jpg

img_02021-57226.jpg

img_02031-57227.jpg

Ever heard of too little too late? Yep, this is one of those...... If you only knew how long I listened to the rhetorical "whats that smell?". I've moved the whole operation to the garage now, but this may have saved a lot of headache! How free flowing is the filter? have you had any problem with it building up pressure?

No flow problems. I "crunched" the carbon pellets pretty tight and the foam is rigid. the bag never filled like a ballon, so flow is pretty ok and the yeast is really working hard right now.

Oh and if I get in trouble with too much foam I will switch to a blow hose running into a tall glass jar with a lid and add the carbon filter to it.

Back