3 floyds gumball head pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
Today i found my first sixer of gumball head ever and it was 14.00 a six pack. I put it back on the shelf gave the owner a dirty look and walked out lol

I've paid damn near as much for stuff I've had before, for something I never see, I would have bought it. Here in PA they don't "import" 3F, some dumb PA LCB rule about only allowing so many craft brews from other states.

You should have smashed the bottles, punched him in the face, taken a dump on the floor, and one upped Hunter S. Thompson.

Bought cases at the brewery tonight for 35. But I'd rather pay 14 for gumball head than 7 for blue moon.

I've never had 3F for that reason. So many other great options for half the price. Brew a clone ;)

Mind if I ask where you saw it? I occasionally see it out this way but it's been a couple weeks. Never seen that expensive though!

Mind if I ask where you saw it? I occasionally see it out this way but it's been a couple weeks. Never seen that expensive though!

there a liquor store called qwikx. it just off rt 31 north of rt 72 its the road the runs behind spring hill mall. Main i think it is. I took 31 towards carpentersville and then made a left at the first intersection after the mall. then it right there on the right. they have a good variety of craft beer but some of it seem old. I got a bad bottle of un-earthly there. on tuesday the 28 mariano's fresh market is opening at gulf and barrington roads. They have a great selection of craft brew and excellent prices. Thats where i'll be going

They have no problem selling out of Gumballhead. One of the stores I go to sets a limit of two sixers per person. It's a good beer to try once or twice and then brew it yourself for 50 cents a bottle or less.

Yeah I've bought it there before but definitely not for that price. The guy the corner of 19/Shales said he occasionally gets it in but I've never seen it there.

Yeah I've bought it there before but definitely not for that price. The guy the corner of 19/Shales said he occasionally gets it in but I've never seen it there.

Hes another one who like to over price his craft beer. I went in there to get a six of snake dog ipa and he want 12 bucks. Mariano's has it for 9.50

I could assume your a home brewer since your on this forum. There's a Gum Ball recipe floating around this site, so you can brew your own and save a ton of cash. I brewed it twice ( 2x10 gallon batches) and people seems to like it a lot. I live a couple of miles from the brewery and prefer to brew my own. I can drink two and then I need to change up to a different beer. Castermmt

$14?=Rape?! F No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get out the pepperspray! I went to a nearest college town in Il, which is the only place I can get any Floydes. Well during the off season(summer) there were 0- 6 packs to be found anywhere(yeah I tried 4-5 places) not to mention the !$=Rape! tollways near Chicago. I mananged a few aged bombers but It was like a Floydes ghost town. I thought maybe there was a recall or something. Miss that beer though,its a good one. I have doubts it can be brewed the same but I cant say ive ever tried though.

10 dollars a sixpack or 35 a case at the brewery well worth the drive

Is it? 3F is a good 60 miles from the Chicago western burbs x $4/gallon x 25 mpg = $20 round trip + tolls = ~$25

vs.

$14/sixer - $10/sixer = $4 difference
or
$14x4 = $56/case - $35/case = $21 difference

So, if you buy a case and a sixer, it IS worth the drive, if you don't include your time and car depreciation. But if you go on the tour and/or enjoy breweries, sounds worth it to me. Cool.

I just bought a 12.68 ounce bottle of Russian River Consecration for 12.95 plus tax at the store if that makes you feel better.

The fact remains that 3 Floyd's is a small brewery and they intend to stay that way, demand is far greater than supply and in fact even in Chicago area it moves off the shelf as fast as it goes on the shelf. They even have a limit to what you can but at the brewery.

There is talk about them opening in Chicago but no confirmation on what type of expansion it will create. As with anything else, if demand outpaces supply price goes up. If I can find it I'll occasionally pony up for some but not often.

These days in our area it's hard to find many great beers for less than $10 even as our taxes are ridiculous!

GLWIII said:
Mind posting the recipe?

I would say this recipe is dead nuts on... I compared mine to a bottle of GBH that I had and I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference. My best brew to date.

Here is the recipe that I used:

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)
6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Notes
Wait til fermentation is finished and then add dry-hop additions for 7 days.
Rack and bottle or keg as normal.

JonGrafto said:
I would say this recipe is dead nuts on... I compared mine to a bottle of GBH that I had and I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference. My best brew to date.

Here is the recipe that I used:

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)
6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Notes
Wait til fermentation is finished and then add dry-hop additions for 7 days.
Rack and bottle or keg as normal.

that is the exact recipe i have been making. everyone who tries it says it is better than the real gumballhead

Back