My Belgian IPA turned out way too hoppy, what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Okay so long story short, the beer is carbonated and read to drink, but its WAY too hoppy. Even my buddy who is a hop head said wow, this is too much hah. So the question is, what can I do now? I was thinking about putting in a lb of pureed mango? Any suggestions are welcome.

If interested here was the recipe I used.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gumballhead-raging-*****-hybrid-recipe-thoughts-231143/

Time will tame it a little I would imagine.

edit: Just saw that aging isn't going to work for you. Rather than ruin it by adding sugar (mango), buy a case of beer to go fishing with.

A beer with a boatload of hops like that will need some bottle time.

That is...if you used the raging ***** recipe.

Agreed, My first brew was a hop monster, and the longer I let it age, the better it got (as difficult as that was). That harsh aftertaste really mellows into heaven after a few weeks.

So you brewed the hybrid recipe? if so thats only 54IBU and should not by any means be too hoppy.

You sure it not something else causing the problem? what did you do for your water? too much gypsum?

Send it to me and I'll drink it, that way you don't have to worry about it anymore! :mug:

Is it too bitter or too hoppy, i.e. too much hop flavor and aroma? If it is too bitter a little salt with smooth it out. Try a pinch of salt in a glass of the beer and see if that does any good. If the problem is too much hop flavor, only time or blending will do the trick. Brew a similar beer with a much lower hop schedule, let it ferment out and blend the two. If you don't have time for that, buy a similar commercial beer and blend with that. It wouldn't think it would take more than a gallon or so to round off the edges.

You might want to check your local water quality report for the level of sulfate in your water. That can impart a harshness and hard edge to the bitterness and hop flavor.

Is it too bitter or too hoppy, i.e. too much hop flavor and aroma? If it is too bitter a little salt with smooth it out. Try a pinch of salt in a glass of the beer and see if that does any good. If the problem is too much hop flavor, only time or blending will do the trick. Brew a similar beer with a much lower hop schedule, let it ferment out and blend the two. If you don't have time for that, buy a similar commercial beer and blend with that. It wouldn't think it would take more than a gallon or so to round off the edges.

You might want to check your local water quality report for the level of sulfate in your water. That can impart a harshness and hard edge to the bitterness and hop flavor.

This is what I was thinking I would do (blend with commercial beer). Its just too bitter (hop bitter)

And this is already in a 5 gallon keg and carbed, its not bottled. That why I figured I could try adding something to it to change the flavor a bit.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm lost here, but, "My belgian IPAis too hoppy." What?! Wasn't that the point?

If it's just that harsh, let it sit an mellow and buy a case of something delicious for fishing. Do you want to share a beer you're not really proud of, or do you want to be able to tell the fishing buddies that the beer wasn't up to your standards so you left it at home?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm lost here, but, "My belgian IPAis too hoppy." What?! Wasn't that the point?

If it's just that harsh, let it sit an mellow and buy a case of something delicious for fishing. Do you want to share a beer you're not really proud of, or do you want to be able to tell the fishing buddies that the beer wasn't up to your standards so you left it at home?

Good point.. And yes obviously I wanted it to be hoppy, not not too hoppy for non-craft beer drinkers. Hopefully it will level off in the 2 weeks before camp, otherwise I will probably just buy a case of some lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin

Back