Good Brew Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnotvest

Reaction score
I've been borrowing my buddy's stainless steel pot for the past few batches and now I need to get my own. Does anyone have any good recommendations as to what to buy? Keep in mind I'm a college student so cash is tight.

I've heard porcelain is not great because the coating can scratch easily, but what about aluminum? Or are neither of them good and I should just drop a lot of money on a stainless steel?

If your strapped for cash you could try to get your hands on an old stainless keg from a friend or bar, cut the top out of it and you'll have a 15 gallon SS pot dirt cheap.

For a budget brew pot, I don't think you'll find a better deal than a decent thickness aluminum pot (28-32 quart as a good minimum)... All you need to do is condition them (as per the faq thread) and you're good to go.

If you're just making extract brews, a 20 quart should be enough. Once you make the switch to grain (either partial, or all grain) then you'll want a 32 quart (or 40 quart) pot, for 5 gallon batches.

Look on craigslist for people looking to sell turkey fryers (propane fueled, with aluminum pots) and you'll get both a good sized pot, and burner for cooking the wort (outside)...

The only SS pots you'll find in the same price range are really thin, and have nothing clad on the bottom (making it difficult for controlling/eliminating hot spots).

My 16 quart stainless steel pot was good for extract brews (thick aluminum clad bottom) but is not really any good for partial mash, or all grain batches. It's still my main sauce/chili/stew pot though.

BTW, I was able to get the 32 quart, 4mm thick, stock pot (with lid) from a restaurant supply store for about $46... That's less than I'd pay for a good 8 quart SS pot.

If you are fine with aluminum, I highly recommend the ones at Sam's Club. Great "bang for the buck" value. They are thin, but should be fine as long as you don't play soccer with them.

The lids are separate, with a 40qt coming in at $32.88 and the lid at $6.22. You need either a Sam's Club account, or access to someone who does. ;) They have a decent selection of restaurant supplies, and the quality is about the same on these as other aluminum stockpots I have seen. I prefer stainless, but starting with these until you are ready to commit more is completely reasonable, IMO. Unless I find a reason that aluminum is failing me, I have no plans on moving to anything else. Adding weldless fittings, etc, is easy enough that I can make these into reliable brew kettles at a fraction of the cost of a pre-made solution.

If you follow the advice on using aluminum in the sticky, you will be fine. (i.e. Building up an oxidation layer, not using harsh cleaners, etc.)

Sam's Club: 40 qt. Aluminum Stock Pot

Sam's Club: 40 qt. Aluminum Stock Pot Lid

If your strapped for cash you could try to get your hands on an old stainless keg from a friend or bar, cut the top out of it and you'll have a 15 gallon SS pot dirt cheap.

It's not quite that simple. You need to add a valve. A brass valve and bulkhead will cost you at least 20.00. A stainless valve will be more like 30.00. Plus you need the tools to drill the hole for the valve and cut the top. I suppose you could siphon out the wort if you did not have a valve but most people who go the keggel route get the valve.

The 40 quart aluminum pot is probably less of a "project" and in the end may cost you less.

PS:Think about getting an immersion chiller to go with whatever new pot you decide.

wow that's a good deal

It kind of is until you consider the 40qt one from Update International with a cover costs $100 shipped and that has a clad bottom. I'd be surprised if you found a much better deal.

Or you could get a bigger pot, for less. The logic is a bit confusing I know :)

The MB, NB and Update International pots are all the same.

Since rnotvest is still a [college] student, I would recommend going with a 32 quart aluminum stock pot, since you should be able to get one (complete with lid) for under $50 (with a little hunting in your area).

I never thought I would be one to use aluminum pots, but once properly conditioned, they are just as safe as stainless steel. Plus, you get really, really, really good heat conduction. Plus, you'll avoid hot spots that singe/burn either the inside of the pot, making it less work to clean. In fact, with a conditioned aluminum pot, you rinse with hot water, then just use a soapy sponge/cloth to clean. No scrubbing involved.

Since I have a membership to Restaurant Depot, I'll be able to get even larger aluminum pots for when I'm ready to go for 10 gallon batch sizes. They have an 80 quart aluminum pot (listed online, they might have even larger ones in the locations) for under $92 with the cover/lid. I know that the location I go to has other pot sizes than those listed online.

If you wish, you can simply drill the pot and install a ball valve (no-weld fittings)... Not sure about a thermometer stem, but I would imagine you can get those in no-weld fittings too. I know, from experience, drilling aluminum is many times easier than trying to drill stainless steel. Depending on the stainless alloy, and how it's been heat treated and tempered, you could be looking at a lot of work.

Since rnotvest is still a [college] student, I would recommend going with a 32 quart aluminum stock pot, since you should be able to get one (complete with lid) for under $50 (with a little hunting in your area).

I never thought I would be one to use aluminum pots, but once properly conditioned, they are just as safe as stainless steel. Plus, you get really, really, really good heat conduction. Plus, you'll avoid hot spots that singe/burn either the inside of the pot, making it less work to clean. In fact, with a conditioned aluminum pot, you rinse with hot water, then just use a soapy sponge/cloth to clean. No scrubbing involved.

Since I have a membership to Restaurant Depot, I'll be able to get even larger aluminum pots for when I'm ready to go for 10 gallon batch sizes. They have an 80 quart aluminum pot (listed online, they might have even larger ones in the locations) for under $92 with the cover/lid. I know that the location I go to has other pot sizes than those listed online.

If you wish, you can simply drill the pot and install a ball valve (no-weld fittings)... Not sure about a thermometer stem, but I would imagine you can get those in no-weld fittings too. I know, from experience, drilling aluminum is many times easier than trying to drill stainless steel. Depending on the stainless alloy, and how it's been heat treated and tempered, you could be looking at a lot of work.

All good points. Probably a more sensible solution then blowing all his drunk money on a shiny expensive pot. :fro:

I have a 7 gallon SS pot or a 7 gallon Al(did a turkey in this one a few times, but it has a faucet in it)I can donate to you. I am building my electric system and do not need my old 7 gallon pot. It served me good and I am happy to pass it on to a fellow HBT member. I live in pottstown. You are welcome to come out tomorrow and grab it. I have some tasty brews you can try to. just pm me and I can provide you my info.

I have a 7 gallon SS pot or a 7 gallon Al(did a turkey in this one a few times, but it has a faucet in it)I can donate to you. I am building my electric system and do not need my old 7 gallon pot. It served me good and I am happy to pass it on to a fellow HBT member. I live in pottstown. You are welcome to come out tomorrow and grab it. I have some tasty brews you can try to. just pm me and I can provide you my info.

Brew Karma!!!! Both your beers will be the better for it!!! This is why I love HBT, Cheers milldoggy :mug:

he just caught me drinking Eds Apfelwine, which I have to say, on tap aged 5 months, is dangerous!!! If I was sober, I would not be this generous :)

Not sure of the quality comparison between the two, but $78.81 from Sam's Club. Only reason I know this off the top of my head is that these are the ones that I have on my list for when I move up to 1/2 bbl batches. All they need from there is a bulkhead, thermowell, a heating element, and a sight gauge. :mug:

I bought my extract brew pot from Sams club. It's stainless, has a heavy core on the bottom sandwiched between stainless, 24 quart. Overall, it's beautiful pot and it was well under $50. I know Philly's got a sam's club...

I bought my AG brew pot here: my pot But they got aluminum ones too: aluminum pots

But my advice to you is still to hit a sam's club first because bayou depot's price on their 24 quart aluminum pot is less or about the same as you'd pay for a nice stainless one at a discount club. If your parents or anyone you know has a membership you can buy under them...

Not sure of the quality comparison between the two, but $78.81 from Sam's Club. Only reason I know this off the top of my head is that these are the ones that I have on my list for when I move up to 1/2 bbl batches. All they need from there is a bulkhead, thermowell, a heating element, and a sight gauge. :mug:

Pictures on Sam's Club site don't show if your pot has a clad bottom or not. It also doesn't mention it in the description, so I would assume that it doesn't have one. In my experience, stainless steel pots that don't have clad bottoms are not worth getting. They burn whatever is cooking in them far too easily. The only real way to avoid that is to be [almost] constantly stirring them (while the heat is on them).

The aluminum pot I picked up is 4mm thick (the entire pot, bottom and sides) so it evens out the heat really well (on the bottom and even up the sides).

Also, I think people are missing the fact that the OP is a college STUDENT, i.e. has very little to spend here. Asking why he won't go for a $150+ pot, when he can get one for ~$50 is not even funny. When you're starting out, and even when you're a bit into it (for 5 gallon batches at least), you don't NEED a termowell. You don't NEED a sight tube/glass. You don't NEED a ball valve in the pot. Sure, everyone would like to have those, but they're "like to have" items, which you can rather easily do without. Of course, that changes when you go to 10 gallon (or larger) batches.

I do see the 32 gallon aluminum pot as a good purchase. For one thing, it gives you plenty of space pot-boil. If you're moving it over to the sink (or next to the sink) to use a chiller, you don't need to worry about spilling it. You can easily mash (BIAB) in the pot (for decent gravity brews too) without over flowing.

I'll be giving serious thought to picking up another one, as well as a propane burner soon. That way, come spring time, I'll be able to brew outside pretty easily. Of course, I'll still need to schlep the wort into the apartment, so the propane cooker might happen when I've moved to a new place. Although, it would be good to use if I wanted to brew someplace else (family, friends, etc.)...

I would also suggest checking with your grandparents to see if they have any large aluminum (or stainless) pots that they are not using. Had I known I would be brewing, I would have grabbed the ones from my grandfather's place (after he passed away)... Alas, that was about two years before I started brewing.

BTW, I was rather pissed when they closed the Sam's Club in my town... The closest one, now is about 45-60 minutes away from me (each way)... What little I might save by going there is easily offset by the cost of fuel to get there and back again.

Pictures on Sam's Club site don't show if your pot has a clad bottom or not. It also doesn't mention it in the description, so I would assume that it doesn't have one. In my experience, stainless steel pots that don't have clad bottoms are not worth getting. They burn whatever is cooking in them far too easily. The only real way to avoid that is to be [almost] constantly stirring them (while the heat is on them).

The aluminum pot I picked up is 4mm thick (the entire pot, bottom and sides) so it evens out the heat really well (on the bottom and even up the sides).

The one on Sam's that I linked to is Aluminum, as well. :D

Post a wanted ad on graigslist you would be surprised what people have in the basement /shed .

I started with a Turkey fryer then I bought the SS 24 qt at Sams with a clad bottom . then went to a Keggele now i am back to an aluminum but a 30 gallon one.

jmferris I live just a few miles from you.

I put out a word with a BIL and he found me a turkey fryer for free. It may not be the best pot, but I think it may be the best one for the money. Ask around, there are people throwing these out. This one may take some cleaning and a new regulator but 7 1/2 gallons beats a 5 gallon.

I put out a word with a BIL and he found me a turkey fryer for free. It may not be the best pot, but I think it may be the best one for the money. Ask around, there are people throwing these out. This one may take some cleaning and a new regulator but 7 1/2 gallons beats a 5 gallon.

I would just make sure it's been cleaned really well, to get rid of any residual flavor/odors, then condition it (30-60 minute water boil with as much water as you can fit in the pot). You should be fine after that.

I would imagine that as long as the thickness is at least 1/8", you'll be fine.

Wow lot of options to look into. I've looked on Amazon before but found ones with ****ty reviews are were expensive, although that was for SS pots. Didnt even think about Sam's Club

My local Target occasionally has a 32quart Tamale steamer in stock. This is what I'm currently using as my Electric brew Kettle.

EDIT: It's aluminum, but it's also only 19.99, which helps with the budget.

Back