Drinking in Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyC

Reaction score
My wife and I and some friends are going to be in Munich for a few days during Oktoberfest this year. Outside of the festival, does anybody know of any good beer halls or breweries worth visiting?

I was there in 2008 and I visited Andechs Monastery and stopped by the Hofbrauhaus for the obligatory touristy experience. I'll probably do those again too, but I didn't get a chance to really check out any more beer halls or breweries besides those. I know there are several in the area, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences on which ones are best.

Congrats and all that.........that being said, I hate you, and always will, until I myself am able to take that very trip.

;)

Munich has 6 breweries you could visit...:mug:
I lived in Augsburg for 4 years. It's about 40 miles west of Munich.

Kloster Andechs (been there 4-5 times)and Hofbrauhaus (at least 50 times) are always good, but if you go north of Munich there's Aying and Erding if you like Hefe Weizens.;)

Between Ingolstadt and Munich is the Hallertau hops growing region. Look for signs that say "Hopfenstrasse" (Hop Street).

While it's certainly not fun in any sense of the imagination, I also recommend that you tour Dachau Concentration Camp. It's about 13 miles NW of Munich.

Hammy: I've got an email out to Spaten to see if I can arrange a tour. But they're probably staring at their computer screen trying to figure out my Germanglish.

hb99: Great ideas. Looks like a couple of day trips are in order.

DelftBlue: Excellent find. That's going on the list.

A couple breweries close to the airport might be worth a visit (to start or end your trip), including Erdinger and Weihenstephan (in Freising).

http://www.erdinger.de/en/Company/Brewery.html

http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/

It's been several years ago, but it was easier to get a tour at Erdinger (several a day, but you still should schedule with them in advance). Wasn't able to work out a tour at Weihenstephan, but was told they do give them. I seem to remember Weihenstephan had a good restaurant, but not as good as Andechs Klosterglasthof (that place is hard to beat).

Back