What handheld device do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What handheld device with camera do you most often use?

• iPhone

• Blackberry (or clone)

• Palm OS enabled device (Treo, etc)

• Other JAVA enabled device

• Windows Mobile Device (HP iPAQ, etc)

• Something else (please post)

• I don't use any handheld devices or no camera

Results are only viewable after voting.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Greetings! I'm thinking about some brewing software for handheld devices and was curious about what sort of gizmos you folks all use. Since there are many OSs and programming SDKs, I'd like to get a feel for where to start.

And your device must have a camera.

If you use more than one, please just vote on the one you would have with you most of the time.

Thanks!

-Joe

I'm curious... WTF is a Blackberry "clone"? To my knowledge, the only devices that run the Blackberry 'OS' are Blackberries.

AFAIK, the add-on apps are run in Java, but I would think that they are somewhat specialized for the thumbwheel or trackball interface that the other devices don't have...

In case it helps, my BB is the Curve...8820 I think...

Hell if I know. A friend told me she had some kind of Samsung phone which is apparently like a Blackberry.

From what I've gleaned so far the Blackberry OS supports Java, which is nice from a portability standpoint.

-Joe

I voted iPhone, but I actually use an iPod Touch. Same thing really. Unfortunately, Java won't work with the iPhone/iPod Touch....

Hell if I know. A friend told me she had some kind of Samsung phone which is apparently like a Blackberry.

From what I've gleaned so far the Blackberry OS supports Java, which is nice from a portability standpoint.

LOL yeah I think I've seen those - the Blackjack? Motorola makes/made one called the Q.

Regarding apps on Blackberry, I think Verizon Blackberries might be different, I know Google Maps Mobile won't work on them, for example...VZ loves to charge extra for every feature so it might be that Google hasn't made that particular app available for VZ to sell to its customers instead of giving it away for free...

I voted iPhone because it is what I have on me most often. I also have my trusty Pocket PC. But as far as brewing tools, I can's see using a handheld that often for brewing. I use BeerSmith in the house, print my brew-sheet and then head out to the driveway after sparging in the kitchen.

An iPhone app to store recipes on to refer to while shopping would be swuft though. Usually I print out a shopping list, but there are times I find myself at the LHBS unexpectedly and buy a kit because I don't have a recipe handy.

Definitely not a gadget freak. I have a camera phone but only because it was free with my plan. I don't carry any other device and often don't have the phone.

Craig

I'm trying to figure out why someone would use an application like this. About all I can come up with is adjusting a recipe while at the LHBS. As you might imagine, I don't have a cellphone. They don't work where I live.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would use an application like this. About all I can come up with is adjusting a recipe while at the LHBS. As you might imagine, I don't have a cellphone. They don't work where I live.
I haven't even mentioned what sort of application I'm talking about. It would not be Beersmith on your cell phone as most seem to be assuming. This is why I tried to use the word "device" and not "phone". It won't require any cellular/Internet connectivity.

When I get a more developed idea I'll be sure to tell y'all about it.

-Joe

People are probably referring to any "SmartPhone" as a blackberry clone just cause they were the first big deal ones. It's not a blackberry clone just cause a phone has email. It's just a phone nowadays.
I don't have any cause i can't see spending $100 a month on a cell phone that I hate answering. Especially since my beer budget isn't $100 a month.
Oh and cause work gives me a free phone (****ty razr) but its free. and I can use it as a personal phone too.

I use a piece of crap phone. Work pays for it and I can't imagine paying what they want for a decent data plan.

I'm at my PC or laptop enough that I have no use for anything else, mobile broadband is nice :) .

Back