Why does my tripel get cloudy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Belgian tripel, extract w/ grain steeping. 1 month in the bottle. When refrigerated it gets very cloudy. not sure what it is or if it affects flavor, just curious. (and no, its not yeast being stirred up)

Yes, chill haze. It does not affect the taste of the beer, and it's never bothered me enough to bother trying to do anything about it.

+1 for chill haze. It doesn't effect the flavor any though. It's cause by proteins that remain in solution after fermentation. Given enough time, they will settle out during prolonged conditioning. This can be accelerated quite a bit by cold-crashing, though. Ployclar is said to reduce chill haze as well.

Thanks a ton all...just never seen it in my brews and was curious.

There are a variety of methods to control chill haze.

Irish Moss in a strong, vigorous boil with good formation of hot break, a protein rest in the mash, and rapid bitter wort chilling with resultant good cold break formation are the keys. If you do all that and still end up with haze, try Polyclar in the bright tank.

Bob

A little haze isn't out of character for a tripel, to be honest. Many excellent Belgian brews pour a little cloudy.

Back