Potential problems caused by swirling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I am brewing a SA Summer Ale using WLP400 (Belgian Wit), it had an OG of 1.058, and was fermenting at 68ºF for a week. After checking the gravity, which was at 1.030 for a couple of days, I decided to give the bucket a good swirl and raise the fermentation temp to ~70-72ºF. It started fermenting like crazy, so much so that I had to put a blowoff tube in after it filled the airlock. The gravity is now down to 1.020 two days after swirling, and it still has a nice krausen cap.

Now, my question. If I gave it a pretty good swirling while stirring up the yeast, what are the possible negative effects of that action? Thanks guys!

I say leave it for two more weeks, then bottle or keg. Just leave it alone! the yeast know what to do

Sounds like you had a stuck fermentation and you intuitively took the proper action to fix it. Leave like mrk305 says, but I'd take a hydro reading in a week and see how it's doing.

But what are the possible ramifications of too much swirling? Am I likely to get some off flavors if I over-swirled?

Or, would it take a really crazy churn to produce a problem? This is the first time I've had a fermentation issue of any kind.

There is the possibility of aerating your beer if you splashed a lot, but many think that issue is over rated. So do I. Because you had a fermentation already, your beer had a layer of CO2 already covering it. There likely wasn't any O2 present. Even if there was, you'd have to splash A LOT to get air. As far as swirling, you'll be fine as long as you don't keep doing it every day. The yeast will flocculate out in a week or two as it normally would.

RDWHAHB... as it were.

Both of my beers are stuck at 1.019 and it's supposed to be down to 1.013.

My apartment is a little on the chilly side and my thermometer says it's 62.

I'm moving it to a warmer spot and I gave it a swirls. Let's see how it goes.

How long has it been fermenting, and what kind of yeast did you use?

Remember that airlock activity may not necessarily mean it starts fermenting again. Higher temp and swirling will help bring existing CO2 out of suspension. Leave it for a week or so and check the gravity to be sure.

I see... one of the beers has Wyeast 3068 and the other is a dry ale yeast.

The one that's dry yeast is a red ale that's been at 1.019 for atleast a week. It has been fermenting for two weeks.

The 3068 is a hefeweissbier clone that's just in its first 7 days.

I swirled them a bit today. I'll probably give it another check next week and see what happens. I also moved them into what should (hopefully) be a slightly warmer room.

Back