Best Avatar Ever...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hogshead said:
Wow, $20 to get poked fun of! What great idea...
<lots of stuff you already read>
...And as for YooperBrew, being one of the few ladies on this forum I suppose sucking up to her is pretty pointless, she's probably used to it by now. Did you at least enjoy the effort???

I think I am undoubtedly going to be in the extreme minority, but I am comfortable there. I honestly don't see what was so egregious about this post. Up to this point in the thread, everyone was chumming with him except for two things. 1. he was being blasted for not being a paying member, which I think is out of line. One's finances are one's own business. Period. I think he was taking that attack in good stride. 2. some misplaced humor with a definition for brown nose, for which he was called out on, and again, he took it in good stride (although genius probably wasn't the best word to pick unless meant seriously in regards to Yuri)
Clearly, the comment about Yoop was his undoing. When I read it, I thought it was only slightly misguided, but based on a reasonable observation that there are very few women around here, and female moderator may very well be regarded as a queen of sorts in that situation. Not really funny, but, most importantly, it did offend Yooperbrew, who made that clear. Here is where I am uncomfortable with what happened. He is immediately threatened with a ban, and then banned with no further posts from him. Maybe he was about to apologize. If there were deleted posts that I didn't see, or nasty PM's that weren't mentioned, then all this is moot, but it seems a bit heavy handed based on what I can see.
I also disagree with the party analogy. I see it as more of a community. At a party, if you're out of line, yeah, you should just leave. In a community, the rules of interaction are more vague, you will have a much wider assortment of people with different backgrounds, and I think it is appropriate to let people know when they are getting out of line, and give them a chance to amend their ways, or at least explain themselves.
Maybe I'm over reacting and the guy was just a jerk, but mightn't this have have gone down differently if the post after the one quoted was more like, "hey buddy, if you don't want to pay, that's fine, but your tone is coming off as a bit "jerkish" by the local standards, and I really think you offended Yooperbrew, who is a very cool person. Was that your intent? I should warn you that personal attacks and offensive behavior can result in being banned."
I am not trying to stir up the bees nest, but I am interested in better understanding the nature of this community.
If this is more of a party, it's probably good for me to know that.
Finally, let me make it very clear that, despite his being geographically close to me, I do not know Hogshead in any way shape or form.
Cheers all.

Germey,

Thanks for the comments.

When it comes down to it Mods are trying make decisions that are best for the community. They have been asked to be Mods because Admin think they are capable of making those decisions and to act on behalf of the community and Admin.

That is what was done in this case and all other cases.
There is no way that the 1000s of members of this forum will agree with all actions and some trust is required.

Germey, I appreciate your comments. There were some things that were NOT seen in this thread that took place. Some of them are in his other thread, some are not. His first post (same exact one) was first hit on every page of the forum. I deleted them and gently told him that 1 copy of each post was sufficient, since most of us use the "new posts" button. He basically gave me an FU for that, so that's where it started. Unfortunately, it deteriorated after that.

I'm pretty thick skinned and can take some ribbing and kidding about my intelligence (or rather the lack of!). I know that not everyone will like me, and I might not like them. But that's ok- really! (Still, I genuinely like the vast majority of people on the forum- in fact, nearly all of them). But what happened was he asked for some criticism of his video (which was very good, the small portion I watched) and when he got a little, he kind of went off on people.

We all have different personalities and bring different viewpoints to a forum. But personal attacks and over-the-top dickheadness can't be tolerated.

YooperBrew said:
We all have different personalities and bring different viewpoints to a forum. But personal attacks and over-the-top dickheadness can't be tolerated.

Thanks Yooper, for the rest of the picture. It helps and I appreciate it. I did miss that thread (in fact, I didn't see this thread until it had mostly played out.)
Your good nature shines through much more clearly than is normal for the internet. This whole thing struck me as very odd.

Orfy, you and the other mods do a fine job here. Please don't take my stance as disrespectful. I will always speak my mind if I feel I need to, sometimes especially if my feelings are running counter to the group. It's just the way I am, but I promise to always be respectful.
Cheers,
Germey

if you look at his personal web pages, it's obvious he knows his way around the interweb thing, and he knows how folks interact on the web. it's my opinion, that he was aiming for trouble from post one. classic troll.

I'm not sure how I missed this one until now but I would tend to agree, based on Yooper's more detailed explaination, that he deserved what he got.

Damn! we were like brothers. NOT

I did like the idea of a video set to some good punk showing a yeast mosh pit though.....

Anyone with some good video editing experience?

Back