Star San leaked into my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
Made the mistake of trying to top off the airlock (using Star San) while it was installed. After a few times squirting the Star San, but it not reaching the fill line on the airlock, I realized that the Star San was going down the airlock into my batch. Lesson learned: Remove airlock and top off, then reinstall. About a couple of tablespoons worth of Star San went into my brew. How will this affect the fermentation and the beer? It's a 5 gallon True Brew Nut Brown Ale, OG:1.051, with Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 11.5 Grams plus 6 Grams of the Munton's Yeast that came with the kit. Used the lager yeast because the room where it will be fermenting is at a constant 50 degrees F this time of year.

Lol! I just did this as well as long as it was diluted I think you'll be fine, I left a mixture of water and starsan at the bottom of my keg and the first few pulls were watery but then it was fine tastes great no off flavors.

I wouldn't sweat a couple of tablespoons. Too much more than that it might taste a little sour. It would take quite a bit to inhibit the yeast.

I use Star San in my blow off rig (tube with a 32 ounce cup of sanitizer); and in my air locks once the most vigorous ferment is complete.

Last fall I had a blow off setup with 16 ounces of SS attached to an extremely light beer. I cold crashed it a little too vigorously and wound up with a little more than half of the SS getting sucked back into the fermented beer. Not only did I not get an infection, I was not able to taste anything sour or "off" about the beer.

If your sanitation was otherwise OK, your beer should be good to go.

Any reason people don't install more than one airlock (in a plastic fermenter lid), to prevent yeast clogging a single airlock? To make a blowoff setup, do I just insert one end of a hose in the airlock hole, and put the other end in a container of Star San at a lower level than the fermenter? Why is this better than an airlock? Can't the blowoff hose get clogged as well?

Mine is not usually an issue of stuff clogging as much as an issue of yeast/trub pushing though the lock. For me at least, a half full large cup or small pitcher with star San makes a good overflow receptacle. Then I just keep an eye on things. When the heaviest part of fermentation is done, I swap out the overflow container with fresh star San or if it has really died back, a standard airlock

Two airlocks would be clogged as easily as one. The issue is the diameter of the portion of the airlock that is inserted into the fermenter. My 3 piece airlock has a small X at the tip that is the narrow point. If there is hops and break material in the krausen it would block 1,2, or 30 airlocks. The blowoff has a larger opening and is less likely to get clogged. But, yes the blowoff can get clogged. Just less likely.

Back