AG Session Amber Ale Formulation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeptidelphian

Reaction score
Ever since I had Founders' All Day IPA I've been on a session beer kick. This is at the higher end of session though. I want to make sure I'm not getting too muddled with my specialty grains or hop additions. I want to play with FWH as well. What do you all think?

I'm going for crisp, drinkable, with caramel tones. And a nice hop flavor and aroma but not overpowering.

Code:
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (alternate): 4.79%
IBU (rager): 29.36
SRM (mosher): 14.15

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (70%)
1.5 lb - American - Victory (15%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.5%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (7.5%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, Use: First Wort (AA 7, IBU: 2.5)
0.25 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, Use: First Wort (AA 4.5, IBU: 1.6)
0.75 oz - Cascade for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 22.03)
0.25 oz - Cascade for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7, IBU: 1.96)
0.25 oz - Willamette for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 1.26)
0.5 oz - Cascade for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma (AA 7)
0.5 oz - Willamette for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma (AA 4.5)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Conversion
2) Sparge, Temp: 165 F, Time: 10 min, Batch Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Campden Tablet, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 tsp - Gelatin, Type: Fining, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 57 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

WAY too much victory malt! I'd go with no more than .25-.5 pound (and only the higher level of .5 if you love victory malt!).

I'd go lower than 15% with the crystal malt. I love 15% in a big bold hoppy American amber, but if you want a quaffable session beer with a crisp finish I'd cut that to 8% or so.

I would rather see less FWH and 60 minute hops, and more later in the boil, for balance. You've got plenty of bittering, but I'd like more hops flavor and aroma.

WAY too much victory malt! I'd go with no more than .25-.5 pound (and only the higher level of .5 if you love victory malt!).

I'd go lower than 15% with the crystal malt. I love 15% in a big bold hoppy American amber, but if you want a quaffable session beer with a crisp finish I'd cut that to 8% or so.

I would rather see less FWH and 60 minute hops, and more later in the boil, for balance. You've got plenty of bittering, but I'd like more hops flavor and aroma.
Thanks for the quick response!

I'm intrigued by victory malt since it's "amber malt". Should I switch it out for Vienna or Munich then? Or just go simple with more MO?

So the 15% would be appropriate if this was in the 5.5-6.5% ABV range?

And how much later in the boil? Say .5 oz of cascade, maybe only .25 FWH total? Then shift that more to 15 minute or knockout additions?

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm intrigued by victory malt since it's "amber malt". Should I switch it out for Vienna or Munich then? Or just go simple with more MO?

So the 15% would be appropriate if this was in the 5.5-6.5% ABV range?

And how much later in the boil? Say .5 oz of cascade, maybe only .25 FWH total? Then shift that more to 15 minute or knockout additions?

I think that the grainbill is good, with lowered amounts of victory and crystal, but Munich malt is great for a rich malt flavor if you want to make the beer feel maltier.

I'd probably go with 40 IBUs or so, depending on OG. I'd use more hops at 15 minutes, to balance it.

Back