Using Gelatin, and Bottle Conditioning????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
Will using gelatin and cold crashing to clear my beer, stop it from carbing up in the bottles? I really like having clear beer, but dont want to drop the yeast that will carb it up out to the point it wont work.

If not, what would be the proper procedure for doing this, and what is the best gelatin to use? Thank you very much.

Yes to both techniques. They will work to make nice clear beer.

The plain unflavored gelatin that you can find in the stores is fine (Knox is what my store has).

Shouldn't affect your ability to bottle prime, but you'll definitely want to make sure that you give it plenty of time in a warm place (~70F).

This is a good link describing general fining agents and techniques.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/12/30/fining-agents-improving-beer-clarity/

Cold crashing in the bottle causes what is called "chill haze" - formation of large opaque proteins. Once this forms you simply wait for the haze to settle out. The longer you wait, the more that falls out.

If you do a general search on clearing beers in this forum you'll find some more details.

I've read a lot about gelatin on these forums and these 2 methods sound the best to me. I use Method 1 pretty often but can't vouch for Method 2. I get LD Carlson gelatin from HBS, it's cheaper than buying at food store.

Method 1 (similar to what's on LD Carlson bottle)
Use 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gal beer. Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per 1/2 teaspoon.
Let it sit for 60 minutes to hydrate and bloom.
Heat the pot until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.
Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).
Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer. Some say the beer should be cold first, some say you add the gelatin and then cool to fridge temp. I've done both but am not sure which works better.

Method 2 - Use a glass jar, and fill it with a cup or cup-and-a-half of tap water. Not hot or warm or cold.... just cool. About 70-80 degrees. Put 1-3 teaspoons of gelatin in there and let it sit for 20 minutes. Swirl it up good (it will be cloudy) and pop it into the microwave. Set it for about a minute, but you need to watch it and take it out as soon as it's clear. The glass will be warm. If you try to dissolve it in hot water, it clumps up, and cold water won't soften it up like you want. Never boil it.

I use BridgewaterBrewers' 'Method 2' and it works well for me. I've found that 2 or 3
10-second bursts in the microwave dissolves it well. You stop when it changes from cloudy to clear.
I add it to my carboy, then move everything out to my 'cold'garage where I let it sit for 3-4 days before bottling. Have never had to add any additional yeast for carbonation- there's plenty left.

A few weeks ago I transferred to a secondary, cold crashed and gelatined for 5 days. Clearest beer I've had yet. Almost no sed in bottles and looks filtered. I cracked one at 3 weeks and only got a hiss. I think next time ill add a small dose of healthy yeast when bottling to make sure it's carved. However, YMMV.

Btw when I use gelatin in primary I get a decently clear beer with good carbonation. Likely due to the racking cane sucking up a little trub.

Back