applejack procedures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an ale pail since I have a deep freezer. I left it in overnight and the next day scooped out the slush and let it filter through a strained funnel.

So this is to extract the pure alcohol out of the cider right?

burshaw said:
So this is to extract the pure alcohol out of the cider right?

No, it will never be pure alcohol from freezing. Getting much above 20% takes a cold freezer and some patience. You will also get lots of your original flavor coming with it.

jeepinjeepin said:
No, it will never be pure alcohol from freezing. Getting much above 20% takes a cold freezer and some patience. You will also get lots of your original flavor coming with it.

This^^

You will end up with something pretty high octane but it is also very full flavored.

Not sure what I'm starting with. I didn't keep good records this year. I added 2 pounds, 5 cups and 5 pounds of sugar to different batches. Can't remember which batch this one is. So 5-9% I guess.

After 24 hours of sub-freezing temps my 5 gal. is now 3-1/3 gal. It's soooo cold it lacks flavor or alcohol taste.

How was the mass that you pulled off? Did you feel you we're losing a lot of cider, or was it pretty much just water?

I put my cider back into an apple juice bottle put the cap on and let it freeze for 24-48 hours(I get lazy sometimes and come back the next day). I take the bottle out of the freeze take the cap off and turn it upside down into my mason jar. I let it sit for about an hour. Once the majority of the color is gone, I stop

Here is a picture of apple jack. O.G. 1070. F.G. I want to say 1000, I don't really remember.

20121109_151220.jpg

The throw away was ice crystals. That flaky like appearance. I tossed it in a sieve to get all the fluid out. Threw it outside. It's so cold it's still there. Looks like frozen snow. No color. Gonna strain out some more ice tonight. I wonder at what temp the alcohol might freeze too.

Damn the last 3-1/3 is almost frozen solid. It's only ten degrees outside. It was so hard to taste because it was toooo cold.

Damn the last 3-1/3 is almost frozen solid. It's only ten degrees outside. It was so hard to taste because it was toooo cold.

Just doing a general estimate from the previous freezing temp post in this thread, it looks like you are around 40 proof. right? :drunk:

40 proof liquor with no taste is scary dangerous... :tank:

Unferth said:
Just doing a general estimate from the previous freezing temp post in this thread, it looks like you are around 40 proof. right? :drunk:

40 proof liquor with no taste is scary dangerous... :tank:

Eh, it's just 20% ABV. Dangerous in quantity.

If its still freezing solid the second time around doesn't that mean its over 20%?

Yes all things in moderation... I meant dangerous in a good way if that makes sense.

I might have to try this out. I'm planning a 3 gallon cyser this spring, I think I'll play around with a gallon of it.

-Kingboomer

Mines in the freezer now after a ten day fermentation. I just threw the lees and all in there. Ill post pics when I harvest.

After a week of sub 20 temps and two strainings my 5 gal. is now 1-1/2 gal. of Applejack.

It has a thick smooth mouthfeel. You know the alcohol is there but it's not strong. The apple flavor is stronger than cider. Makes nice apple-tini.

image.jpg

Just harvested, had to drain a couple times and probably lost a bit to impatience/sloppiness. 1 liter applejack per gallon of 10% cider.

Tasting notes: strong apple flavor, hot alcohol taste, but not like apple brandy or something similar. More like a strong wine or port... I might backsweeten with apple concentrate and serve on ice or with soda water. A nice sipper, and at only a week and a half from pitching yeast!

OMG! This stuff is soooo good. Almost better that my sparkling dry cider. But 1-1/2 gal. from 5 gal.

image-2936156114.jpg

I used my 16.9 oz. green bottles for a different look. Can't drink it alone with 16.9 oz.

image-3215750653.jpg

It's like apple port. That's the best description I can come up with. But it is certainly not a way to get rid of bad cider. Everything is more concentrated, good favors and bad. I'm going to do a full batch of this soon... I need freezer space.

Highly highly recommended.

A good maybe weak on flavor cider with no off flavors is s perfect candidate. It tastes soooo good.

How long should wine made with applejuice and aj concentrate be aged before doing this? I made a batch last week that I may try this on. My last batch of ed wort's recipe is still tart right now after about 3 months though.

You are wide open on that choice really but anytime after fermentation stops you can commence to jack. I start right after fermentation has completed but then again I use mother nature to freeze my cider. By starting in Nov. I often get between 30 and 40 below to use free of charge. 10 degrees down to 0 will work just fine too.

First time apple jacking started outdoors last night. Temperature was supposed to hit 9. I was expecting more of a layer of ice, but found the flaky, crystally ice described above. I was surprised that this ice was entirely throughout the liquid. It was, however, only a gallon in a bucket. I am very pleased with this experiment so far!

Any other tips out there?

So I just did 1 bottle of this in a plastic container in my freezer to see how if like it and it was great! Very apply, slight note of alcohol. I was wondering, could I make a 5 gallon batch of cider, transfer it to my bottling bucket and leave it outside on some freezing days and then drain the applejack at the bottom from the bottling spigot?

One tip is to make more next time. It can disappear pretty quickly.

I see that you are in Portland. You may want to check with Giles Family Farm in Alfred to get your cider. They press it and do an excellent job of it. They UV treat it so it has no chemicals and is not cooked. I need to get some more before the weather tips towards spring.

Back