• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Two-tier all-grain Stainless RIMS Rig for sale - Greensboro, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USCDiver

Reaction score
I built this rig during the last year. It works really well but I'm thinking about redesigning it and building another single tier rig this winter.

This Beauty (dubbed The Defibrewlator) is built from 1.5" stainless tubing with stainless splash/heat shields on the front side and 5" locking casters. The system uses three keggles and a RIMS tube controlled by an Auber PID. Most of the rig is hard plumbed with 1/2" and 1" tubing using triclamp fittings and two center inlet stainless Chugger pumps. There is a plate chiller on the outlet of the BK that gets 10 gal down to pitching temps in about 10 minutes. (I think it's the 30plate model from keg cowboy, can't remember exactly).

A shelf is attached under the control box to hold a 20lb propane tank(not included),Ii think there is room for a 40lb tank if you have one. A propane manifold is mounted nearby with on/off ball valves and adjustible regulators for tight flame control. HLT and BK have 10" Propane Banjo burners, MLT has a 6" burner if want to direct fire or step mash.

HLT and MLT are both plumbed to a chugger pump via a 3way valve to switch easily from dough-in to mash recirculating and back to sparge. The MLT drains into the BK by gravity so you can fly sparge while you pump your sparge water from HLT to the top of your MLT. All vessels have triclamp mounted dip tubes with very little residual fluid to reduce equipment losses in your brews. MLT and BK have stainless false bottom as well. There is a 1.5" triclamp temperature probe mount on each keggle and site glass on HLT and BK.

There is copper water plumbing with in-line charcoal filter and two valves to fill HLT and/or feed water to plate chiller without changing hoses.

This pic doesn't show the control box which is mounted on the arm. There is an e-stop, main power switch, switches for each pump and a forth switch for the RIMS tube wired through Pump 1 to ensure liquid flows during heating. Switches are LED push button. Everything runs off 120V. Comes with 1500W VLD heating element and a RTD temp probe.

I'm asking $4500 for the entire rig. Right now I'm NOT looking to part it out because I'd likely just cannibalize most of the good stuff if I couldn't sell it whole. I'd like to sell in this area to avoid shipping hassles (I'm in Greensboro, NC), but I'd be willing to look into shipping costs if someone wants to pay a few hundred dollars extra.

Feel free to ask questions and I'd be glad to take any other up close pics if you want to see. The rig is currently disassembled in the basement but I can put it back together pretty easily.

RDWHAHB,
USCDiver
imagehaiu.jpg

Here are some pics I took this morning with my phone. Maybe not the best quality or lighting...

Control Box
img0518bs.jpg

HLT:
img0520vh.jpg

Three Way Valve:
img0521c.jpg

RIMS (chugger, RIMS tube). BTW: I know this wiring isn't safe. There are other options if you want to make something yourself. I am comfortable not touching it when it's energized.
img0522gkz.jpg

RIMS return:
img0527jx.jpg

MLT outside:
img0523np.jpg

MLT inside with both dip tubes, similar ones are in HLT and BK (false bottom is out for cleaning):
img0528sej.jpg
Yikes! This one is blurry, but you get the idea.

MLT false bottom (also have one for BK if you want it)
img0529or.jpg

BK:
img0524jwd.jpg

Pump 2 and Plate Chiller with valve and thermometer assembly
img0525okq.jpg

Water In and Charcoal Filter:
img0526zh.jpg

I have seen this unit work and it is amazing in action. If you want to go to next level this is for you the workmanship is great. I can't believe you are selling it. And a new unit what will you create this time. Good luck.

Very nice. Good luck with the sale. I'm curious to know what changes you would make if you were to build another?

Very nice. Good luck with the sale. I'm curious to know what changes you would make if you were to build another?

Really the only major thing I would change would be making it single tier but that is really just an aesthetic change since I already have two pumps. There would be a little bit different piping in that case of course too.

Dang, this isn't far from what I was planning on building myself. Nice rig!

Why don't you save yourself some trouble and come take a look at this bad boy? Make me an offer!

Why don't you save yourself some trouble and come take a look at this bad boy? Make me an offer!

I'm actually from GSO originally. I'm in Qatar at the moment, but should be home in a week or two, and the first stop will be to see the family in GSO.

What are the physical dimensions of it, just length and depth. Space is an issue for me right now. Hoping to remedy that with a garage build soon.

It's approx 7' x 2'. It rolls like a gem too, so you could store it and move it out for brew days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back