Mash Tun cooler question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
For those who have done the mash tun round cooler, specifically the home depot 10 gallon one, when you added your valve using a threaded nipple and brass barbs with washers, does the valve assy still move around a little once tightened? I can't get mine to clamp tight enough through the cooler wall that stays solidly in one position, it rotates. It doesn't leak, but it moves around with a little force and it's unsettling to me.

I added a second washer inside and it's solid!

I don't have a round cooler. I use a rectangular cooler, and mine also moves. The key is for it to be leak free. That's all that really matters. I actually tried to get mine to stop moving, so I kept tightening it. I found out that it will indeed start to leak like Dan said if you over tighten. So, I loosened it up, and now I just live with the fact that it can move.

Yea, it's a bit dissapointing at first. You think you're going to have this perfectly stable valve, it moves on you, you go ah sh_t and then realize it aint leaking. It also makes it easier to remove without tools.

I include a short piece of plastic pipe between the walls slipped over the nipple. Depending on the sizes of each, sometimes I cut the spacer lengthwise to expand. I just slip the spacer from the outside, mark the length w/ a marker flush w/ the outside wall before placing the washers, etc. if done correctly, the bulkhead can be tightened up snug w/o rotation.

Cheers,
Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

I disassemble mine after every brew. I just hand tighten it. It's not locked in position for sure but I haven't lost a drop in 6 batches.

Back