Fuller's London Porter.. Extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Not very often that a beer knocks my socks off, but man this tasted great!! Went to a beer tasting event on Friday, March Beer Madness. 16 brews, blind tastes, trying to judge which beer is closest to style guidelines. First taste for me was an Irish Red. Can't stand Killian's so I wasn't to excited about this one, although in all fairness I've yet to taste a homebrew Red. By the time we made it to the Elite 8 in front of me was Brown Porter #2. Turned out to be Fuller's London Porter. I would love to clone this beer!! Told SWMBO about it & even she sounded interested in trying it!! If anyone has a good extract w/grains recipe I would appreciate it. Thanks RR

Here's one I found online.

Fuller's London Porter Clone

1056 OG, 1014 FG, 35 IBU, 62 SRM, 5.4% ABV, 65% efficiency assumed.

Grains:
4.4kg British 2-row
0.40kg crystal (60L)
0.20kg chocolate
0.20kg black patent
0.11kg roasted barley
Mash @ 156F (59C) for 60 mins; collect 6.5 gals wort, boil for 90 mins.

Hops (5%AA assumed):
48g East Kent Goldings (EKG) @ 60 mins
7g EKG @ 15 mins
7g EKG @ 5 mins
7g EKG @ 0 mins

Yeast:
WYeast 1968 or White Labs WLP002 @ 70F (21C)

There's supposedly a dead on clone in a BYO issue. I haven't made it myself (Fullers London Porter is my #1 commercial beer next to that certain Irish stout) but it's on my to-brew list. They have both the all grain and extract with grains version.

May-June 2006, Vol. 12, No. 3

I'm not sure of the legality of posting the recipe but the whole issue is well worth the $4-5 cost. It has clones for Youngs Special London Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale, Bass Pale Ale and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout as well.

Here's one from Beer Captured by Tess & Mark Szamatulksi.

Heat 1 gallon of water to 160 degrees & add

1 lb. British Crystal 55L
10 0z. British Chocolate Malt
4 oz. British Brown Malt

Remove the pot from the heat and steep at 150 degreees for 30 minutes.
Strain the grain water into brew pot. Sparge grains with 1 Gallon of 150 degree water.

Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and add.

6# M&F Light DME
6 oz. Malto Dextrin
2 oz. Fuggles at 4.2% AA

Add Water till total volume in brew pot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add.

1/4 oz. Fuggles (flavor Hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Boil for 15 more minutes then chill for 20 minutes. Strain the wort into primary fermentor and top off with cold water to obtain 5-1/8 gallons. Once the wort temp is below 80 degrees, pitch the yeast.

1st choice: Wyeast 1968 London ESB

2nd choice: Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Ferment at 68-72 degrees for 7 days then rack to a secondary for 3 weeks.

Prime with 1-1/4 cup of M&F Extra Light DME that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water.

Let prime at 70 degrees for aprox. 3 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temp.

Bought Beer Captured. Thanks for the recipe EdWort. Definitely gonna brew this one sometime this summer. Thanks All. RR

I had this recently on tap, and I must say it was very, very good. I wouldn't mind drinking it again at all. Lots of chocolatey goodness.

Has Anyone Successfully Brewed One Of These Fuller's London Porter Clones?

If you look at Fullers site, you will find the following information:

"London Porter is brewed from a blend of brown, crystal and chocolate malts for a creamy delivery balanced by traditional Fuggles hops."

So those clones with EKGs and black patent you might want to reconsider.....

4 oz. British Brown Malt

Strain the grain water into brew pot. Sparge grains with 1 Gallon of 150 degree water.

6# M&F Light DME
6 oz. Malto Dextrin
2 oz. Fuggles at 4.2% AA

Add Water till total volume in brew pot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add.

1 tsp. Irish Moss

Boil for 15 more minutes then chill for 20 minutes. Strain the wort into primary fermentor and top off with cold water to obtain 5-1/8 gallons. Once the wort temp is below 80 degrees, pitch the yeast.

Prime with 1-1/4 cup of M&F Extra Light DME that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water.

Let prime at 70 degrees for aprox. 3 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temp.

Hey - I was looking for an extract/steeping grain recipe for a Fuller's-like porter. Do you have any changes, thoughts or additions to this recipe? Thanks!

I followed this recipe, using the ESB yeast and switching out the 'brown malt' with 'briess special roast' and steeping the malts in 2.5G instead of 1G of water. Its pretty spot on. Slightly more chocolately/sweet than the Fuller's but really close given the simplicity.

4 oz. British Brown Malt

6# M&F Light DME
6 oz. Malto Dextrin
2 oz. Fuggles at 4.2% AA

1 tsp. Irish Moss

Back