Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'm going to give this a go tomorrow. Any last minute input would be appreciated.

Saison

59 percent Pilsner
24 percent Rye
12 percent Vienna
06 percent Honey (pasteurized and added to primary after high krausen)

26 IBU with Amarillo additions at 60 and 10 min (about .5 oz each)

Wyeast 3724 (I have a small amount of washed 3711 that could go to if it stalls)

Mash @ 150

I like mashing in the mid to high 140's, but that's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, looks good. Saison is just a style that's very open to personal interpretation IMHO (even though it seems that judges are sometimes just looking for a Dupont clone), so whatever gets you close to the flavor profile you want is a good recipe I'd say. Well, including of course the typical Saison funk and drinkability.

Sounds good. I'll drop the mash down to 148. Any reason to add wheat to the mix? The rye should support head retention on its own right?

Sounds similar to one i have in the fermentation chamber now. I used about 20% rye, 70 % pilsner, and 10% vienna.

EKG for 60, and continuously hopped with an ounce each Citra and Styrian Goldings from 12 minutes to flame out. Fermenting at 72 with wyeast 3711. I tasted it when i took a gravity reading today, and it tasted great!

Sounds good. I'll drop the mash down to 148. Any reason to add wheat to the mix? The rye should support head retention on its own right?

I'm pretty sure rye has a pretty comparable protein content to wheat, so you should be fine with that. Make sure you reach a good mash pH if head retention is a concern, I found that nearly all my beers have good retention after I really started paying attention to pH. Light beers especially so since there's so little buffering power in the pale malts used.

I love using 3724/3711 together from the start. Recipe looks good if you want a big eye character. I like using a small amount (2%) of melanoiden.

Well I went with the recipe as is, except for the adjustment to the mash temp... went for 148. I'm at 1.048 at the point. The honey should add another 4 points, and, assuming I can get this down to at least 1.008, I'll end up with a 6 percent saison.

Any thoughts on the honey? My dad has bees so I have a supply of raw honey. I figure if I add it to the primary after peak fermentation, it might give a nice boost for the yeast and add a subtle flavor. Or am I just as well off adding some white sugar?

I think the honey will be a nice addition. Honestly for a saison the yeast does almost all the work, so you really can't miss as long as you don't try to over complicate things. I think your recipe sounds fantastic!

Latest posts

Back