Roeselare 'explosion'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrewaletx

Reaction score
Brewing my first sour and followed JZ brewing classic styles recipe for the flanders red. I pitched the Wyeast Roeselare straight into the Better Bottle with no clean yeast fermentation beforehand.
I have my carboy sitting in my basement at 62F and sometime between 24 and 48 hours after pitching I found the stopper blown off and about a good pint of yeast all around the bottle.
I didn't expect this from the Roeselare and am wondering if others have seen this?

image-2568868481.jpg

I just pitched it for first time on Saturday. I ferment in my kettle, so no stopper blown out, but it was an active initial fermentation. Very similar to a batch with WLP550 I recently did. I transferred it to secondary after only 4 days. Under the ropey yeast on top, the beer was very clear below.

Yeah I caught mine just in time as it was starting to push up through the airlock. I removed the bung and just left it open for a couple days until fermentation slowed. Second batch did the same thing.

FWIW, I haven't racked off the Roeselare and the flavor of the 8 month old batch is amazing (no autolysis off-flavors), so based on my experience you don't have to rack to secondary.

if you use temperature control this is less likely to happen. most do not because the brett is gonna clear up any off flavors a high ferm temp is going to leave. i find even early though that the sacc strain in rosalare likes a pretty hot fermentation

For my previous perusing of the boards on sours, I don't remember any talk of a vigorous fermentation although yeast is part of Roeselare mix, so I definitely made the mistake of 'assuming' I wouldn't need any special precautions, especially at such a cool temperature. If I do rack to a secondary (other beers I don't secondary) I will top off with some pre-boiled water.

cooler temps may keep in check, but i could definitely see warmer needing a blowoff. i could use one too...

Back