Hose size for NG from manifold to burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gifty74

Reaction score
So I'm looking to plumb my rig with NG, and have the hose from the house to the rig. I'm going to be putting the manifold on soon (1/2" iron pipe) and want to know what size to go with on the hose leading from the manifold to the burner. I have 12 tip ~6" diameter NG burners. Also, let me know if anyone has had good luck with a flame control valve, or if a 1/2" NG ball valve will have good flame control. Thanks.

My rig uses 2-20tip jet burners. The rig is plumbed with 3/4 iron pipe and reduces to 1/2" to the burner. I have no problem with flame adjustment using regular gas ball valves. With this style of burner I think the most important thing foe control is distance from the burner to kettle bottom. My distance is 15". I have picks of mine in my profile. I would plumb to the burner with what ever size the inlet is on the burner.

My rig uses 2-20tip jet burners.

You know, I was thinking "why do I need 3 burners", but thought since I was plumbing it up I might as well add the 3rd. Do you ever wish you had 3 instead of 2? And yes, I will probably just go with 1/2" to the burner from the manifold.

No, I istalled a HERMS coil in my HLT. I'm just starting to use it more. My cooler holds temps so well I didn't use it much, but I've found my beers are improving sice I started recircing my mash and ramping to mashout. I do wish I had built a 2 tier structure though.

I do wish I had built a 2 tier structure though.

Why the 2 tier preference? I always thought it would just be another level up and I'd have to get up on a step stool to look in. Or would you put the HLT up on the second tier so you could gravity grain into the MT to fly sparge with one pump?

Back