Our first Apfelwine...Question about it please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't bubbling like I had expected. Now this is my first batch. I used Edworts recipe and the yeast recommended. Now the picture attached (hopefully it attaches fine) isn't really very clear, but it was made just 12 hours ago.

Will it start to bubble today?

I think we are going to keg this, maybe bottle half/keg half. Does it taste different if kegged/carbonated? If bottled, do I carbonate or just transfer straight to the bottle?

IMAG0444.jpg

Definitely don't worry about anything if you just pitched yeast 12 hours ago. If it isn't doing anything after a couple of days then I might be concerned. Also, the bubbling part of fermentation was not super strong when I made Apfelwein, just a bunch of small streams of bubbles rising up the sides of the carboy.

As far as tasting different carbonated vs. uncarbonated, yes it does taste different. A lot of people prefer it carbonated from what I remember, but I like it "still" just fine as well. If you bottle you certainly don't have to carbonate, but you can.

I'm sure everything is fine, good luck! :mug:

My experience with it is that I usually get the first bubble through the airlock about 3 - 4 hours after putting it together. After 12 hours, it's usually about 1 bubble every 5 - 10 minutes. By 24 hours, it's usually pretty noticeable, and by 36 hours it is vigorous. At 12 hours, I would have to stand and watch the airlock to know that anything is happening.

I wouldn't worry at 12 hours, though.

Cheers! Smells great now but if if starts to smell like rotten eggs in a couple days, it's perfectly normal and will go away in a couple more days.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I may have freaked out had you not said.

BTW all, the "SWMBO" wanted an alternative to my beer, so she bought the supplies for this and pretty much made it herself. I am probably going to keg it...maybe bottle a few.

Back