Space below false bottom affecting efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I'm making a second bucket-in-bucket MLT for a friend and using slightly different buckets from what I used for my own (click here to see a pic of it without the inner bucket El Cheapo Mash Tun). I noticed that these ones don't stack quite as tightly together as mine do and instead leave around 4-5 inches of space between the bottom of the inner bucket (or false bottom) and the bottom of the outer bucket (the one with the spigot).

Do you folk think this will cause a problem with efficiency and the mash as there will be water at least a gallon of water that sits down there having passed over the grain only once after mash-in?

We will be recirculating the entire first runnings if I have my way but I can't help but think that this might cause the grain on the top of the bed to be above water during the mash.

Due to the buckets' dimensions I cannot simply cut the structural rings off the top of the outside of the inner bucket to have it slide down further into the outer bucket but I could simply cut three inches off the top of the outer bucket so that the inner seats lower and closer to the spigot. My worry with this is that it reduces the outer buckets overall capacity and my mash might overflow.

In any case, there's no great loss as it was a cheap and fun DIY project but the stickler in me wants to build the best possible MLT from these buckets that I can.

Nevermind, I've solved my own problem.

Simply cutting the bottom off the inner bucket and inserting it rather than the whole she-bang allows it to slide much further down inside the outer bucket. It creates a plastic version of the stainless steel false bottom offered by many brewshops.

Now it looks as though I'm only an inch above the nut holding the spigot in place.

It's a good thing I like doing stuff like this and have the tools because I can see why most people couldn't be bother to build one of these things.

I used to tilt the buckets forward by placing a copy of Papazian under the back during the sparge... It helped. -p

The answer to your question is yes it will affect you efficiency. Tilting it like perry suggests to get as much of that wort out as possible will definitely help and increase your efficiency.

Back