First Batch - Airlock & Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where_the_Redfern_Brews

Reaction score
Hi all! I started my first brew batch on Saturday 7/23 which is a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. All went well and it started bubbling at the airlock after about 15 hours. At around 20 hours it was bubbling so vigorously that the krausen was flowing out of the airlock and the side of my pail. I took the airlock off and put clean paper towels over the hole then rinsed and sanitized the airlock before putting it back on. It has since filled up with a little bit more krausen, looks like beer rather than water. Should I take it off and clean it again or just leave it? Also, should I attempt to go with secondary fermentation after a week or just go 2-3 weeks in primary and just transfer into my 2nd bucket at bottling and forget secondary? Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas will be helpful since I'm a newbie. I know people all have preferences so I'm open to all! :tank:

I would get 1/2" tubing, attach it to your airlock (assuming it is a 3 piece), and run the hose to a gallon milk jug with sanitizer in the bottom (enough to submerge the other end of your tubing

Put a blow off tube on, if ya dont have one make one or buy one. Put one end in either the bung, airlock, or carboy depending on the size of the tubing ya get. My blow off fits right inside the top of the carboy, must be at least a inch wide:)

Dont secondary, just wait a month the bottle and wait another 3 weeks to enjoy...

poislb said:
Put a blow off tube on, if ya dont have one make one or buy one. Put one end in either the bung, airlock, or carboy depending on the size of the tubing ya get. My blow off fits right inside the top of the carboy, must be at least a inch wide:)

Dont secondary, just wait a month the bottle and wait another 3 weeks to enjoy...

Should I just let it be for this batch and go the blow off route next batch? It's not bubbling like crazy anymore and I don't want to contaminate my first batch! Thanks for the replies...

Should I just let it be for this batch and go the blow off route next batch? It's not bubbling like crazy anymore and I don't want to contaminate my first batch! Thanks for the replies...

If the krauzen has settled dont worry about a blow off this time, just make sure the airlock is sanitized and you will be fine. One thing i learned is i always start off with a blow off tube the first 3 days, i just dont need a mess to scrape off the cealing....lol....After the krazen has settled a bit ya can put the airlock back on, better safe than sorry....

ps, if theres beer or any bubbles that dont look like sanitizer just re sanitize it so ya have a fresh airlock..

poislb said:
If the krauzen has settled dont worry about a blow off this time, just make sure the airlock is sanitized and you will be fine. One thing i learned is i always start off with a blow off tube the first 3 days, i just dont need a mess to scrape off the cealing....lol....After the krazen has settled a bit ya can put the airlock back on, better safe than sorry....

ps, if theres beer or any bubbles that dont look like sanitizer just re sanitize it so ya have a fresh airlock..

Thanks, guess I need to take off the airlock and re-sanitize it now that it's calmed down. Just uncomfortable with taking it off and exposing the brew, first time jitters I guess.

Thanks, guess I need to take off the airlock and re-sanitize it now that it's calmed down. Just uncomfortable with taking it off and exposing the brew, first time jitters I guess.

Sanitize a piece of tin foil before taking off the airlock to clean, place the foil over the hole while the airlock is sanitizing...and have a beer while ya wait:)

Back in the old days they would ferment in open air vats. Taking the airlock out for a few minutes won't hurt a thing.

Thanks again for the help everyone! I just took it off and covered the hole with sanitized foil while I sanitized the airlock again. Used sanitizer liquid in the airlock this time too.

Latest posts

Back