Simple Sorachi Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost, but I put this in the wrong section by accident.

Hi All...Just thinking of whipping up a simple summer ale. I have 2 oz of Sorachi Ace hops from last summer that I need to use and I thought that this would be a good quick fix...

5 Gal Batch:

8# Light American LME from Williams Brewing online (thoughts on their LME?)

.5# 20L Crystal Malt Steep 30 min at 125 F

.25 oz additions of Sorachi Ace at 1hr, 45min, 30min, 15min, flame-out.

WLP 001 Cali Ale Yeast

I'm really interested in bringing out the Sorachi Ace flavors which I think would work really well for a summer sipper. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Much Love!
ACo

Since the hops are at that age and it's unknown how you stored them, you may want to check the hops to see if they have any cheesy smell.

Just my opinion but I would move the 45 and 30 min additions. You don't get as much bitterness from additions at those times and you also don't really get much flavor and virtually no aroma. So they end up being kind of a waste imo. I like to keep my flavor additions @ 20 min or less and aroma @ 5 min or less. Everything else @ 60 min or more including first wort hopping.

Sorachi is unique. Sometimes I like it other times not so much. I get a lot of lemon and spice from it. A summer ale should be a good fit for it. I've got one on tap right now that mixed Sorachi and Centennial as late additions. It's good after I cut the grass but not so much when I'm settling in for the basketball game.

I kept the hops vacuum sealed in a freezer avoiding light. I think they are probably fine. Maybe lost a little AAs, but nothing I'm too concerned with.

so...maybe this hop schedule would be better?

.5 oz @60 min

.25 oz @ 15 min

.5 oz oz at 5 min

Just trying to make something to keep it simple.

Back