Planning on going Pro!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC the only way you can copyright a recipe is if you use normal materials and normal methods and they produce unheard of results. I may be way off base though.

Anywho, good luck! I hope to be there some day too!

Good luck to you for sure! I think it's awesome! Can't wait to hear how things go for you!

Last Friday I was talking to a couple people about home brewing and how much fun I was having with it. 1 told me that if I got my license, he would give me a tap at his bar. I laughed at it honestly, especially since I had no clue who he was (come to find out he owns a very busy bar here in town). However, I have been thinking about it every since, but I dont have the $$ for the fancy equipment, so it will probably never happen. Would have been cool to get to go there and see people ordering brew that I made though. Haven't completely given up on it...

Manfish, just start planning! That's what I'm doing. I may not be going pro today, tomorrow or next year, but I've got a plan, and I find myself always coming back to it, and adding details, and sorting it out, etc.. Anything is possible with the right planning ;)

"Funny thing is that there is a few recipes that I havent posted anywhere, because I am copyrighting them."

You can't copyright recipes. Just keep them a secret...

From http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html
How do I protect my recipe?
A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. Note that if you have secret ingredients to a recipe that you do not wish to be revealed, you should not submit your recipe for registration, because applications and deposit copies are public records. See FL 122, Recipes.

Anchor has a hold on the word "steam" in regards to the style. Anyone can make a California Common and be fine. The recipe is not copyrighted at all, and to prove that you were the first EVER to brew something unique would be quite a chore.

Anchor has a hold on the word "steam" in regards to the style. Anyone can make a California Common and be fine. The recipe is not copyrighted at all, and to prove that you were the first EVER to brew something unique would be quite a chore.

They have a trademark on the name "Steam" although they can't patent or copyright the method used AFAIK.

Manfish, just start planning! That's what I'm doing. I may not be going pro today, tomorrow or next year, but I've got a plan, and I find myself always coming back to it, and adding details, and sorting it out, etc.. Anything is possible with the right planning ;)

Oh, I am planning :) I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only been a week since that offer came up, it's going to take time! :)

That sounds awesome and I wish you good success. I, too, plan on making a professional jump in the next couple of years and would be thrilled to see how you are doing it / have done it.

let us all know when you have an idea for your launch date. I'm in the area. I got space in the fridge waiting already. :mug:

Drop me a note if you want to trade ideas back and forth. I have some amazing and really detailed worksheets that you can use to project growth, returns, break even points, as well as some well thought out business plan templates.

Best of luck to you too, as well! We need more local beer everywhere!

Definitely interested in trading ideas and talking. The more info and brainstorming that happens the better we both can be. The worksheets would be nice since all the ones I end up building are a pain. As for a BP, I have a good template right now, just working on filling it out.

If you are ever in the Chicagoland area, hit me up. I'll treat you to a pint and we can talk.

Back