Removing existing labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie Zero

Reaction score
Knowing that I'd need a boatload of bottles for my brew, I stocked up on Amstel Light. Little did I realize what a pain removing those lables would be.

I've managed to take the labels off, but the industrial freakin' strength glue they were applied with won't wash off. :mad:

Is there some kind of solvent I can use to remove the glue residue?

BTW, I've since started saving Sammy bottles. Much, MUCH easier to clean the labels and glue off of those! :)

Fill up a sink with warm water tonight, drop in one scoop of OxyClean...the labels will be floating on the surface by the next morning....I was sceptical of this until I tried it myself...it's amazing!

I've only had to clean bottles once and I followed someones advise from this board. Soak them in Oxyclean overnight. Most of the labels FALL off. If there is any glue left, a tiny bit of scrubbing removes it right away.

NUCC98 said:
Fill up a sink with warm water tonight, drop in one scoop of OxyClean...the labels will be floating on the surface by the next morning....I was sceptical of this until I tried it myself...it's amazing!

This is true. Good old fashioned washing soda (in the laundry detergent aisle of the supermarket) also works and is more economical.

Either one leaves a filmy residue, so be sure to rinse very well.

Awesome! I thought OxyClean would work, but I was worried about the film it leaves behind. I'll be sure to rinse and rinse again.

Thanks!

Also, I've found that really tough, sticky residue comes off with Goo Gone. Soak just the sticky area, let it set for a minute, wipe, then rinse well to get rid of the citrus smell.

Goof-off works reasonably well for stubborn sticker residue, if you don't mind the brain-cell-killing fumes that seem to linger in your house for days...:D

Seriously, I'd never heard of the oxyclean idea. I soak them in bleachwater, but certain labels like Bells and Brooklyn are evil bastard labels and need a razor and lots of scrubbing. I gotta try the oxyclean idea!

something that works well for removing gummy glue and you may have around the house is WD40

Evan! said:
Seriously, I'd never heard of the oxyclean idea. I soak them in bleachwater, but certain labels like Bells and Brooklyn are evil bastard labels and need a razor and lots of scrubbing. I gotta try the oxyclean idea!

The worst labels I've removed have been a joy with oxyclean. Overnight will have them fall off by themselves, but an hour or so, and they'll slide right off manually.

Check out the Joy of Hombrewing...I've used ammonia in water (1/4 cup to 5G I think), soak bottles overnight, glue and labels (even Sammy labels) will come right off! If present, residual glue comes off with a sponge wipe (most of the time). Works like a charm.

Sammy labels come off with warm water. It's those danged Amstel labels that have been giving me fits. That glue would hold the space shuttle together! :cross:

I use bleach in my kitchen, so I'd never use ammonia at all.

Bleach + Ammonia = Blarg, I am dead! :drunk:

NUCC98 said:
Will have to give this a try seems like a lot easier then shaving. :D

I should add that I often do both the dishwasher sanitzing & the oxyclean label removal in the same step. I simply add oxyclean to the dishwasher when runnning through it's sanitize cycle.

The labels fall off, and I have sanitized bottles, all in one step.

I do, of course, start with CLEAN bottles.

OxyClean worked like a charm on my Sammy bottles... but it did jack-squat to the Amstel bottles.

Oh, well. Now I have an excuse to buy more SA! :cross:

Old speckled Hen bottles have been my worst so far, the labels seem to be made out of plastic/foil which doesn't rip off like normal paper labels, even after a soak. And when I did manage to prise a corner away, the glue made sure I got no further. I just gave up and bottled anyway.

Cool Hand said:
Whats wrong with mixing a little bleach and ammonia?:eek:
I think it releases chlorine gas, which is toxic. It's been about 20 years since my last chemistry class so forgive me if I'm wrong. Regardless, mixing bleach and ammonia is supposed to be bad news.

I had saved up some bottles and cleaned a bunch of them yesterday. Soaked them in hot water and one step for most of the day, then peeled the labels and took off any residue with a wire brush.

Sammy labels came off very easily. Had a sixer of Pete's Wicked and they were a *****!

Was I wrong to use a wire brush?

Scotch Brite pads (the green ones) help to remove the most stubborn labels (Petes Wicked Ale and Amstel) after soaking in oxyclean. The best solution I have found is to buy beers from Big Sky Brewing if you can. Most importantly, their beers are excellent and the labels come off faster than a cheerleaders dress on prom night.(Lord, I apologize). Look for Moose Drool, Powder Hound or Slow Elk from Big Sky.

I may be wrong but I believe that when I tried to use a amstel light bottle for my brew the capper would not work because the lip is shorter on Amstel light bottles.

I can't recall for sure it has been a while, but just in case give it a shot before your brew is done just to be sure.

Just trying to save you some time learned from my mistake

Happy Brewin

I recently bottled with random bottles, some Amstel Light, they worked just fine for me.

Markusface said:
Old speckled Hen bottles have been my worst so far, the labels seem to be made out of plastic/foil which doesn't rip off like normal paper labels, even after a soak. And when I did manage to prise a corner away, the glue made sure I got no further. I just gave up and bottled anyway.
I don't if we're talking the same type of labels (I haven't had an OSH in awhile and the labels here in the US might be different), but I'm finding plastic 'contact' labels that have a sort of contact glue on them on more and more beers. Two Brothers Brewing and Lake Louie Brewing both use them.

They aren't made of paper, but rather, a very thin vinyl-like material. And they won't soak off. Instead, they peel off! Just fill the bottles with hot tap water, let them set for 5-10 mins. to loosen the contact glue, then peel them right off!

Yeah, I've been saving my 22 oz. Two Bros. Cane & Ebel bottles. Those labels peel right off under warm water and what little glue remains wipes of with a little sponging. NICE! And it sure is fun to empty those Cane & Ebels. Love that stuff. I'll be using some of those to bottle my IPA this weekend.

Back