White Flakes Floating in my secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcuri1

Reaction score
I opened up my secondary to rack to my keg and there were these white flakes floating on top of my IPA! I dry hopped with pellet hops for about a month and didn't notice this prior to dry hopping. It tastes, smells, and looks clear. Is there anything to worry about? I dry hopped for about 3 weeks with hop pellets!

Nothing to worry about. I get what I call yeast floaties all the time in secondary. They don't do anything other than float around looking silly.

Yeah, we call then "Yeast rafts" what they are are little colonies of yeast that get buoyed up from the trub at the bottom of the fermenter or secondary by co2 gass rising to the surface...then they sit their and some start fizzing a little...It's pretty common. Rarely is the surface of a beer in secondary perfectly clear of anything.

Can they be filtered out when transferring to bottling bucket or keg? I don't feel like drinking down a little yeast raft in my beverage.

So I just have to wait for them to eventually sink before scheduling time for bottling?

Thanks for your advise!

Sometimes they never sink, sometimes they do. Since you rack from the bottom, they just lower into the yeast bed as the level goes down. How long has your beer been in the primary?

Nurmey: It was in the primary for 1.5 weeks and has been in the secondary for 3 weeks as of today.

This morning when I peaked beneath it's light shield(shirt) I was pleased to see that all of the floating yeast chunkies has all gone away. Thanks everyone for their assistance. From now on I know what yeast rafts look like and know not to freak out.

I started a thread on this a few weeks ago. I had the exact same thing in batch I was fermenting in my secondary. Those flakes are nothing.

I kegged the batch and have been drinking it the past two weeks. It's one of (if not THE) best beer I've ever brewed. Great taste and CLEAR. It resembles a pilsner.

You have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back