Burner and Pot Score at HD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I called my local Home Depot about a turkey fryer and they tell me they have 5 of these in stock and on sale for $37.49:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...eId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100036804

After work I go down to pick it up and the sales guy knows I'm coming, but can't find the fryers. Way on top of an outside rack he finds a seperate pot and burner and asks if I'll take them for the same price. The burner is the Bayou SQ-14 and the pot is a 44 quart. More BTU's and a 11 gallon pot instead of the 7 1/2. The stuff listed for over $110 and he gave it to me $38. WooHoo! No more two pot boils.

Turkey Fryer 1.jpg

I just got back from Home Depot and paid 45 bucks just for that exact burner. Lucky you.

Wow, I thought Canada was progressive, but it seems that in Jersey you can score pot from the Home Depot. Dayumn. Here the cashier at the home depot can just point you in the right direction.

Nice score on a great pot and burner. I know how you feel. I scored the same 11 gal. pot in stainless at Costco about a year ago. Your burner looks better than min as I have the basic three legged type w/ the simple ring burner.

The 11 gal is great for 5 or 7.5 gal batches. I usually do 7.5 gal. and keg w/ a 1/4 keg.

Mike

Kai wrote:
Here the cashier at the home depot can just point you in the right direction.

It wasn’t until after we got to the customer service area that he could figure out what he had committed to. From the pictures it looked like the same stuff, but it clearly wasn’t. He spent a lot of time in the office before coming out with the reduction slip. Hope he doesn’t get in trouble.

Mike wrote:
I scored the same 11 gal. pot in stainless at Costco . . . . The 11 gal is great for 5 or 7.5 gal batches. I usually do 7.5 gal. and keg w/ a 1/4 keg.

I’m jealous of your stainless pot. Is it a Bayou also? I just did a 30 minute water boil to prep my aluminum. The burner worked great, but I was surprise at how dark the inside of the pot got. I wiped it dry with paper towels and they came out clean, so it should be alright, but it just looks funky.

Did you put a ball valve on your pot? This thing will be pretty heavy with wort in it.

Anoldur,

Yea mines a bayou classic 11 gal. stainless w/ stainless burner. Don't be jealous of the stainless, alum. is absolutely fine and will probably heat quicker than the stainless. I would take it easy w/ that burner for the first few batches, all that heat and an alum. kettle (any kettle for that matter) could scorch. Take your time and you should be fine though...no need to bring it to a boil in record times.

No ball valve for me "yet". Although carrying 8 gal of cooled wort from the back deck to the basement is almost like a worlds strongest man contest event for me.

I've actually recently been chilling the wort in the kettle, airating and pitching yeast and fermenting ales in the kettle for 10-14 days and crash cooling and kegging straight from the kettle. Believe it or not it works well and couldn't be any simpler.

Basicly i just "seal" up the kettle/fermenter w/ a plastic bag and a piece of string and leterrip.

Not to make you jealous...but I only paid 19 bucks for mine at Costco. It was on clearance for $39 and I bought the last one a floor model that was missing some of the accessories, so the guy knocked half the listed price. Yea a steal!

your gonna love the pot and stand!! 11 gal IMO is the perfect size for homebrew. Sure not in the same league as a keggle, but far better than a 7 gal fryer!

Mike

wilserbrewer wrote:
I would take it easy w/ that burner for the first few batches …
Shoulda listened. Had my first boil over last night after over a year of brewing. The burner worked great. Will avoid doing it again, but it was pretty amazing how quickly it happened. Sure not like using the stove top!

Your brew kettle as a fermenter sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be tying up my pot. I’ve left some of my heavier beer in the primary for a month before racking to secondary. Hate to not be able to brew for that long. Although the price you paid for yours is cheaper then a carboy.

McKBrew wrote:
I just got back from Home Depot and paid 45 bucks just for that exact burner.
Get a chance to use it yet? What do you think?

I got a burner and fish fryer combo at Gander Mountain two years ago for $20 on closeout. I have only used the fish pot/basket once, but the burner gets used probobly twice a week on average. They are one of the most versitle pieces t ohave around.

Nice, I paid about $3 more from HD. The burner is very sturdy which I think sets it apart from others. The only thing I did was upgrade the regulator for double batches. It handles single batches just fine though...

anoldur said:
I’m jealous of your stainless pot. Is it a Bayou also? I just did a 30 minute water boil to prep my aluminum. The burner worked great, but I was surprise at how dark the inside of the pot got. I wiped it dry with paper towels and they came out clean, so it should be alright, but it just looks funky.

i just did that with my closeout special aluminum pot too - i think the dark layer is actually good and you should avoid scrubbing it off, from what i understand.

I went to Home Depot and was made to wait around 10 minutes while they checked to make sure some 2x8x16 blocks were .79 and not 1.69. I only bought two of them. Apparently they didn't trust me enough to risk the 1.80 in potential lost revenue. Bastards.

Soulive wrote:
I got the 15psi regulator and I ordered it directly from the manufacturer...
Ahh … I found it on their website. They mention something about not having the orifice. Were you able to use the one from your old regulator? Perhaps by switching the hoses?

They also have a 20psi version that goes up to 185 BTU. Same price as the 15 here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
By the sound of your thread, I thought you might be advertising a new drug hookup or something...

Anyways...is that burner big enough to fit a keggle does anybody know?

RockfordWhite wrote:
...is that burner big enough to fit a keggle does anybody know?
I don’t have a keggle, but it measures about 16 inches square and is built very sturdy.

I got a turkey fryer from HD this past weekend. It's the cheap one. 7.5 gallon pot, and simple stand. You rock for getting that nice one at that price. Can't wait to use mine for real. I guess I'll have to since it is still winter here, and I haven't got my equipment all moded up yet.

I'm thinking about going gravity fed, and build a brew sculpture.

RockfordWhite said:
By the sound of your thread, I thought you might be advertising a new drug hookup or something...

Anyways...is that burner big enough to fit a keggle does anybody know?

I tried the SQ14 last weekend on a test run with about 8 gallons of water . It seemed to hold the keggle well enough . Had a little side to side motion when bumped but not bad . I plan on welding something beefier to the legs . Just for my peice of mind.

Back