Partial Mash Pumpkin Ale HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
my buddy and I are brewing Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin ale. We got 2lbs of 6-row and a large bag to do the partial mash in. Our problem is the pumpkin. They are out of season. We do not have access to canned pumpkin without preservatives. Can we still use it if we use a yeast nutrient?

my buddy and I are brewing Northern Brewer's Smashing Pumpkin ale. We got 2lbs of 6-row and a large bag to do the partial mash in. Our problem is the pumpkin. They are out of season. We do not have access to canned pumpkin without preservatives. Can we still use it if we use a yeast nutrient?

Canned pumpkin is fine. Most preservatives are ok, but steer clear of sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate.

also- would it make more sense to do the partial mash in a smaller pot and transfer the wort to the main kettle or just do it all in the main kettle?

we will do a full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch. we are mashing 2 lbs of 6-row. the kit also includes specialty grains that are meant for steeping. how do we incorporate those?

we will do a full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch. we are mashing 2 lbs of 6-row. the kit also includes specialty grains that are meant for steeping. how do we incorporate those?

I've never done a PM pumpkin beer, but I have made a few Northern Brewer kits. I'm surprised that they didn't include adequate instructions. I know they used to have them right on their website, even. I can't tell you how to do their kits, I'm afraid.

well 2things. one, the extra grain is for what? second , on the site under more info you will find the instructions for steeping grains. if I'm not mistaken, and u sure I could be , it's a 15-30 min steep. there is actually a you tube vid on it somewhere. just thinking of why add grain that didn't come with the kit.

well- we brewed last night. we ended up mashing 2lbs of 6row with the specialty grains (.5lb caramel 40) and 6lbs of butternut squash. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I have a question about this Scot chale??

I actually called NB about their Smashing Pumpkin Ale TODAY. I asked them if they had the kit in a Partial Mash version, because I do not yet have all the equipment for All-Grain brewing. They informed me that this kit DOES NOT come in Partial Mash, only Extract or All-Grain.

My point is, are you sure you are not confused, and you actually got an All-Grain kit?

Side Note: To answer your question from earlier for future reference, when I did a Partial Mash kit from NB, I have usually done my mash rest in a smaller 5 gal kettle, because it is small enough to put in the oven, and because a thicker mash will hold temp better. Also, I put all the grains in one of their Nylon Mesh brewers bags. It worked AWESOME, and made straining the grains a snap!
If kept on very low heat, the oven will hold the mash consistently at around 152-155 for a full hour. THEN I strained it all into my 7.5 Gal brew kettle and added 170 degree strike water to start the boil.

I called it "partial mash" because we were mashing the steeping grains and 2lbs of 6-row then adding it to the extract kit. it may not fall under the true category as a "partial mash", but considering we were mashing part of the fermentable sugars then adding extract, i thought the term was used properly. we did the mash in a 4 gallon kettle with 2 gallons of water, then added it to my 7.5 gallon kettle for a full volume boil.

I called it "partial mash" because we were mashing the steeping grains and 2lbs of 6-row then adding it to the extract kit.

That sure sounds like a partial mash to me!! Good idea! So question, did you buy the 2lbs of 6-row separate before brew day, and then add that to the specialty steeping grains I'm guessing? ... or did the 6-row come with the Extract kit by default??

I just did this over the weekend. You buy the extract kit and then you buy 2 lbs of 6 row separately along with canned or fresh pumpkin. You steep the 6 row, pumpkin and specialty grains all together then proceed with the boil as usual. It is an extract kit with specialty grains that you manually convert into a partial mash with the pumpkin and 6 row. I don't know how it would convert without the pumpkin or 6 row.

I just did this over the weekend. You buy the extract kit and then you buy 2 lbs of 6 row separately along with canned or fresh pumpkin. You steep the 6 row, pumpkin and specialty grains all together then proceed with the boil as usual. It is an extract kit with specialty grains that you manually convert into a partial mash with the pumpkin and 6 row. I don't know how it would convert without the pumpkin or 6 row.

Awesome thanks so much!! I might just go ahead and do that, so I can continue saving for my All-Grain equipment.

I love doing Partial Mash, it's a great middle ground, since the process takes a little longer, you feel like you have more overall interaction with the beer. Not as simple as Extract brewing, but not as time-consuming as all grain. PERFECT!

it was one of the most fun and involving brew days i've had. i just ordered the mild brown ale partial mash kit from midwest supplies. after 1.5 years extract brewing, it's time to start baby-stepping into all grain. i'm excited.

Awesome thanks so much!! I might just go ahead and do that, so I can continue saving for my All-Grain equipment.

I love doing Partial Mash, it's a great middle ground, since the process takes a little longer, you feel like you have more overall interaction with the beer. Not as simple as Extract brewing, but not as time-consuming as all grain. PERFECT!

Forgot to mention a thing or two. I used NB's Smashing Pumpkin extract kit, along with the 2 lbs of 6-row and 60 oz of canned Libby's pumpkin. NOT the pumpkin pie. Let 3 gallons of water get to 160F then add your specialty grains, pumpkin and 6-row and let steep at 150 for 60 minutes. Proceed with the boil per the directions. At the end of the boil, add the spice pack and 1 additional teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. That's what I did anyway. Results are still fermenting so I can't tell you how it worked out yet.

well- we brewed last night. we ended up mashing 2lbs of 6row with the specialty grains (.5lb caramel 40) and 6lbs of butternut squash. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Scot chale: I am doing this on Saturday. Pretty much the same, 2lbs of 6-Row, but I was able to get 3 cans of organic pumpkin from Whole Foods.

My question is: How many gallons did you mash all the grains in? I assume you would need at least a 5 gallon kettle to hold all the 6-row, specialty grains, and pumpkin matter? Please let me know! Thanks!

I used NB's Smashing Pumpkin extract kit, along with the 2 lbs of 6-row and 60 oz of canned Libby's pumpkin. NOT the pumpkin pie. Let 3 gallons of water get to 160F then add your specialty grains, pumpkin and 6-row and let steep at 150 for 60 minutes.

Aah I see you already answered my question about how many gallons for the mash. Thanks!!

Let 3 gallons of water get to 160F then add your specialty grains, pumpkin and 6-row and let steep at 150 for 60 minutes.

@Dmlsys: I'm in a bit of a conundrum. My 7.5gal boil kettle is too big to fit in my oven, and I don't own another kettle big enough to hold 3 gallons.
What would you suggest? I know my wife has like a stock pot, but I doubt it holds more than 2 gallons.

The last time I did Partial Mash, my buddy brought his 5 gallon kettle, which was able to fit in the oven. I kept the oven at a low temp to hold the mash between 150-154 degrees... this time I don't have that luxury.

I read in my "Radical Brewing" book that he suggests 1Qt of water per pound of grain... if that is the case, I would only need like, 1Gal of water, and that could all fit in my wife's stock pot...

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?!?!?!?! :drunk:

We brewed the smashing pumpkin ale as a partial Mash about 4 weeks ago - this was our first partial so i wrote up some detailed instructions on what i wanted to do. i have pasted them in below and hope they can help.

Partial Mash Recipe

This recipe uses the northernbrewer.com smashing pumpkin ale Extract kit - with some extra grain and pumpkin added.

Open (4) 15 oz. cans organic pumpkin
Put on cookie sheet and sprinkle with
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Roast at 350F for 45 min

Heat 5.5 qts. water to 163 °F (11 °F over mash temp of 152 °F) Put Heated water into 5Gal Cooler

Place In mesh grain bag in the following order
3.0 lbs. of Rahr 6 row grain crushed - Purchased separately
0.5 lb. of Briess Carmel 40 grain - Provided with kit roasted pumpkin

Tie bag and slowly submerge into Cooler- try to let all air pockets escape from grain.
Place Lid on Cooler
Start timer - set timer for 45 min.

When 15 minutes remain in Mash time begin Heat an additional 5.0 qts. water to 180 °F Boil 0.5 gal water in brewpot

Using large measuring cup recycle 4 qts. of water from Cooler spigot back onto top of grain.
Drain all liquid from Mash Cooler into brewpot Leave the grain bag in the Cooler

Add Second 5.0 qts. of water into Mash Cooler sparging the grains Put the cover back Mass cooler Start Timer - Set timer for 5 min.

Use pan that contained sparging water to heat water to warm malt extract.

At end of 5 min period for 2nd mash/sparge Using large measuring cup recycle 4 qts. of water from Cooler spigot back onto top of grain.
Drain all liquid from Mash Cooler into brewpot - requires tipping cooler to get all the wort.

Brew pot should now contain approx. 3 gal of wort.

In small pan warm malt syrup to make easier to pour

Bring approx. 3 gal of wort to a boil in brewpot Add 3.15 lbs. of amber malt syrup Add 1 lb. of Briess Pilsen Light dried malt extract Return wort to boil

Start timer - set to 60 min
At start of boil
add 1oz Cluster Alpha 7.2% Beta 4.9% hop pellets

Watch for boil over
Did you remember to get 3 small bags of Ice? - Kroger trip!!!!!

After 45 min
add 3.15 lb. amber malt syrup

At end of boil - 60 min - add
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice Supplied with kit
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Cool boil kettle in kitchen sink with ice bath to 70° F - 75° F

Prepare Safale US-05 dry ale yeast by
place 1 cup of warm tap water into glass measuring cut Cut open yeast packet and add to water Stir carefully till fully rehydrated

Place approx. 2 Gal of cold tap water into bucket.
Move wort to bucket and top up to 5 gal with cold tap water
Make sure wort is well aerated during transfer

Temp should be approx. 70° F

Take Original gravity reading - expected reading 1.054

Move bucket downstairs
Transfer to primary fermenter

Pitch the yeast

Place airlock on fermenter

Bubbling should begin within 24 hrs
Fermentation continued heavily for 5 days

Racked to secondary after 10 days

Bottling Day -