looking for spent mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ligermama77

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing. I also raise chickens. Spent mash is great for chickens. If you have any leftover spent mash, I'm happy to take it off your hands.

I usually have 40-50 lbs per month but I live in mass and you prob dont want to pay shipping.....

I'm an hour away from you.

I don't know how long spent grain will keep, how to store it, etc. But I'm about to start brewing all-grain.

I'm guessing if I just threw it in a trash bag after mashing, it'd get all moldy and nasty. Maybe i could just start a pile in the yard or something.

If you want to come pick it up, I can start letting you know when I have some available. Or, whenever I head to raleigh I could let you know and I'd make it a point to bring it with me. I go to raleigh once every month or two.

I'm an hour away from you.

I don't know how long spent grain will keep, how to store it, etc. But I'm about to start brewing all-grain.

I'm guessing if I just threw it in a trash bag after mashing, it'd get all moldy and nasty. Maybe i could just start a pile in the yard or something.

If you want to come pick it up, I can start letting you know when I have some available. Or, whenever I head to raleigh I could let you know and I'd make it a point to bring it with me. I go to raleigh once every month or two.

It gets nasty FAST! Like, on a warm day, it'll stink within a couple of hours. No way I'd save it up and haul it around! You can freeze it, though, if you want to save some up.

Freezing works well, so long as you've got the room. I've tossed my grain in gallon ziplocks and toss them in the deep freeze after letting them cool overnight on the garage floor. My aunt's chickens apparently go crazy for it.

It gets nasty FAST! Like, on a warm day, it'll stink within a couple of hours. No way I'd save it up and haul it around! You can freeze it, though, if you want to save some up.

Haha, funny you mention that. my last muslin bag of steeping grains has been sitting on the counter for a while. Wifey keeps asking me when I'm gonna go toss it in the field, and I told her I didn't smell anything.

She got me to take a good whiff of the grain, and I promptly said "I'll get rid of it!!" Holy cow, that stuff smells nasty.

Freezing works well, so long as you've got the room. I've tossed my grain in gallon ziplocks and toss them in the deep freeze after letting them cool overnight on the garage floor. My aunt's chickens apparently go crazy for it.

Cool. The OP said she'd come get it, if I let her know when I brew. But, I do believe I have a little room in the kegerator freezer. Might store some in there if I brew before I head to raleigh on the 2nd for my birthday.

You know what's funny, is, I'd been doing some research on how to use spent grains a couple of months ago, and I noticed that people on numerous boards which have no connection to each other all stated that chickens go crazy for spent grains.

As in, the majority of posters used that exact phrase: "the chickens go crazy for it."

The chickens.

Go crazy.

For it.

I'm not saying the chickens have some kind of mind-control scheme going on, but ...

You know what's funny, is, I'd been doing some research on how to use spent grains a couple of months ago, and I noticed that people on numerous boards which have no connection to each other all stated that chickens go crazy for spent grains.

As in, the majority of posters used that exact phrase: "the chickens go crazy for it."

The chickens.

Go crazy.

For it.

I'm not saying the chickens have some kind of mind-control scheme going on, but ...

I think the chickens take oir grain, make a mash in their water and secretly add yeast and drink great brew without us knowing..... :rockin:

Back