My try at a sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaaron91

Reaction score
My dad and I are making our first batch of brew this weekend and I'd like to do a good sparge, so today I made my first attempt at a sparge arm. Here are the results.

I used 3/4" CPVC with primer and cement. it measures about 19x9". Ive got 7/64" holes drilled in it all around the outside. I figured it would be best to start with holes that are too small and be able to increase the flow of water from the HLT later by drilling them out. I used a couple adapters to make the hose detachable from the sparge arm. Its attached to the hose with some aquarium-grade silicone.

Thoughts? There are ideas from HBT I've picked up, some of it is just a shot in the dark. Hopefully it'll do its job! TIA

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Well pops and I did a group class together and we got our hands dirty, but this batch on Sunday will be our first on our own. I've been lurking around HBT, so I've picked up some ideas here and there. I like to try and learn as much as I can before I do something the first time. So yeah. Gotta get all those delicious sugars outta the mash! My only concern is that the tubing is going to be too small for the turkey fryer pot faucet that we're using as an HLT. I guess we'll see.

Cheers

Don't stress much! If you look at the Blichman sparge arm, it just is a tube that floats on top and gets the sparge water flowing across, rather than down. I used that method for 10+ batches and it worked really well.

Now I have a new rig and am just using a copper pipe with holes drilled on it and the end is crimped and soldered - water flows in and dribbles out so it just sits on top. Works great, is extremely simple - worked for 5 batches so far.

Yours looks nice! I take it that it will go through a hole on top of your mash cooler?

I see you are in Winston. Where did you take the class? Are you a Worthawg, or planning on becoming one?

We took it at Triad Hombrew Supply in Greensboro. They're located at the intersection of Guilford College Rd and West Market. I assume Worthawg's is the local home brewers club?

I asked the guy there about classes but haven't had time to go. Worthawgs meets at foothills. There is also HOPS that meets at liberty in HP and the Battleground Brewers guild in Greensboro. I haven't been to any yet but if I do go to one it will be worthawgs cuz I like foothills.

Gotchya, well I'll definitely try and make my way to the gtg this month if work will allow it, but I'll be going back down to South Carolina for school in August. Just made our yeast starter for tomorrow; the anticipation is killing me! I took a whiff of our grains and its smelling quite delicious

Back