American Strong Ale Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larso said:
Hi there Tyson, I'm a novice brewer(4 extract batches and 2 kits) and I'm considering this recipe. Its listed as an extract brew but dont some of those malts need to be mashed? I did one partial mash for my last brew but it turned out to be more of a 'steep' due to my poor temperature control. Can you give some info on how this should be steeped or mashed with temperature/time info please?

Thanks

L

I did a steep of the speciality grains, it turned out by far the closest clone I have ever done to a beer. 30 minutes at 170 is what I did.

pm5k00 said:
i have used a recipe very similar to this and it came out great, however this is not an ipa, its og is too high, srm too high, and its too bitter. almost fits an Imperial except for the srm is still too high. very good beer though.

It is not an IPA but in beer smith it was the closest i could come up with as a category.

Currently have the 3rd sparge sitting in the tun for this brew. Following the recipe, I have first runnings (3 gallons) SG of 1.092, second runnings (2.5 gallons) at 1.064. There goes the 'drain me now' timer! Kyle

Just done this for the 3rd time now (2nd time I used simcoe as well as chinook which was pretty good, although I'm not a massive simcoe fan so gone back to all chinook).

I do a 'toned down' version to get around 70IBU in a 6.2% beer. Also, I used S-04 for this time (Nottingham 2 previous times).

Will dry hop as usual, maybe oak. I find it's a great beer to oak half of, then you drink the fresher un-oaked first while the oaked half ages a little and mellows.

Kegged last nite after brewing on 11/5/2011. The FG was 1.022, spot on to BeerSmith's prediction. I took an SG but failed to record it. I think I was a little lower than the 1.088 prediction. Maybe 1.084? Anyway, the hydro was fantastic. It still needs to rest on it's laurels for a bit but man, this is tasty stuff. Well done recipe! Kyle

I'm sorry if this is a very novice question but I have just recently started brewing and am attempting this recipe as my first ag. The original recipe posted has a 5.3g mash with two 3g sparges. My system can't handle this size. I have a 6 gallon fermentor. How do I go about sizing this down to my system? I see the HTML to import into beersmith but am novice to the program. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

You will lose some volume due to grain absorption from the mash. You will also boil off some during the 60 minute boil. How big is your boil kettle?

I can get roughly 7 gallons in with 3-4 inches to spare (cutting it close with boil over risk). I see on beersmith the final batch size is 5.5 gallons which I could handle but my brew kettle is what is holding me back.

When I have more runoff than my boil kettle will handle, that's when the auxiliary stovetop boiler is called into play.

Update: Brewed on 11/5/2011 and it has been kegged for a little over a month. Fantastic beer, very well received. EvilTOJ- others have asked for the recipe, so I pointed them to this thread. Well done.
I can't comment on clone accuracy because I don't have any actual AB on hand. I'm not willing to buy some, either, because this is just too good. Kyle

My third batch was with s04... bad idea! Has made it fruity and killed the bitter kick other batches had.

Think I'll stick to a neutral yeast next time.

Just got the grain bill for this today, and brewin it up tomorrow!!!! I saw that some used 2 packs of Notty. I only have 1 on hand. will this be ok, or should I get a little starter going just to bump it up a bit? I have some malta goya that I keep for emergencies like this. I also have some washed 2112, and german Kolsch 029, but I don't think those would be a good choice for this beer.
Any thoughts?

whitehause said:
Just got the grain bill for this today, and brewin it up tomorrow!!!! I saw that some used 2 packs of Notty. I only have 1 on hand. will this be ok, or should I get a little starter going just to bump it up a bit? I have some malta goya that I keep for emergencies like this. I also have some washed 2112, and german Kolsch 029, but I don't think those would be a good choice for this beer.
Any thoughts?

You use Malta goya for starters?

Not unless I have to in a pinch. There have been a couple of times I "thought" I had some DME left only to find out I didn't. Malta goya is just non-fermented wort basically. It is hopped, but if you decant the liquid before pitching there won't be any flavor transfer, and it has the right type of sugars to get a good healthy starter going.

If you search for "Malta goya"in the search engine, there is a lot of info on it. I found it when searching for how to make starters with no DME.

I might try to ferment some malta to see what it tastes like just out of curiosity.

I've heard a couple of people have done that, but I don't remember hearing the results....I might try it with some old washed yeast just to see if the yeast is still good.

I just made the recipe and my OG turned out to be 1.086!

I used us-04 for this one. I didn't have the pacman yeast and I guessed this was the right yeast for this beer. I hope it doesn't turn down the hoppiness if the beer.

I'll keep u posted

I used s04... wasn't pleased with the results in comparison with Nottingham or other neutral yeast.

Then again, might have fermented too warm as it came out too fruity and balanced the hops out so it wasn't very arrogant.

This is the first beer I'll be brewing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it tastes. At least the hops will cover up the imperfections.

I'll edit this post with the results.

I'll be using 2 oz. chinook for bittering instead of 1, and I will be dry hopping with an ounce as well.

After a few days in the keg, I will say this is one of the better beers I've made. Thick lasting head with great lacing. When first tapped, the head was cascading almost like a Guinness, though not as long a cascade as you see with Guinness. Good hoppy bitterness up front, but without a lasting after taste. 4 weeks in primary at 63, then right to the keg. Not super clear yet, but only 5 days in the keg. This one's a keeper!!

:rockin:

The pacman yeast attenuated a bit too much for me. OG 1.065 FG 1.004 when I racked to secondary to dry hop.

Arrogant Bastard was originally a single hop, single hop experiment. They discuss it on Jamil's show, Can You Brew It. They cloned it after many, many attempts. The recipe is much simpler than what has been posted thus far.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 117.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min) Hops 41.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

That recipe is definitely off. It should only be about 75 IBU. Color should be a bit darker too. The last thing they had decided was that the recipe absolutely has a little C150 in it.

Arrogant Bastard was originally a single hop, single hop experiment. They discuss it on Jamil's show, Can You Brew It. They cloned it after many, many attempts. The recipe is much simpler than what has been posted thus far.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 17.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 117.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min) Hops 41.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge

Last I heard, they haven't claimed it was cloned at all....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-stone-arrogant-bastard-176191/

That link you sent is the first brew. I listened to the 11/22/10 rebrew and they said that the two side by side were identical. They all said this. They said they wanted to take it to sone beer fest and let the audience decide. Download it and listen to it, it's really interesting how they figured it out.
As for the IBU who knows what software that person had who entered it in the database.
Mitch Steel told them to keep it simple, and again AB was a SMaSH experiment to begin with.
Listen for yourselves ;) AB 11/22/10 rebrew
Even if it's not 1,000,000% cloned, they said you'd never be able to tell the two apart, and the grain bill is way different than what's posted here.

Ok i am going to throw in my 2 cents here. A few weeks ago i attempted to brew the arrogant bastard. It came out great but there was something a little off.

5lbs golden DME
2lbs golden DME (15min)
1lbs Special B (steeped for 60min @150)
1oz Chinook (60min)
1oz Chinook (45min)
1oz Chinook (5min)

Used Notty and tried to ferment around 65.
The IBU's were a little on the high end so i am going to change my hop times to 60,30,5. I am also going to change the DME addition amount to 6lbs at first boil and then 1lb 15min from the end. Also am going to give my Pacman harvest a try instead of Notty.

I just toured the stone brewery yesterday and I was able to get someone to admit that it is a single hop variety... How close is this recipe? I intend to brew it when I get home to Fort Worth

Not a dead nuts perfect clone, but pretty close, and is a good easy IPA to throw together in a hurry. No dry hop cuts down on time too. I say go for it.:rockin:

GetSudz said:
So what is the yeast of choice for this clone?
Also, what is the mash temp? 150F?

While at stone brewery they told me they have a proprietary yeast made by white labs (which is just down the street from the brewery) I would use WLP001 as its a California ale yeast and probably closer than the others

GetSudz said:
So what is the yeast of choice for this clone?
Also, what is the mash temp? 150F?

While at Stone brewery they said they use a proprietary yeast made by whitelabs which is actually just down the street from the brewery. I haven't brewed this yet but I would use WLP001 since its a California ale yeast and is probably closer than the others

Brewing a modified version of this as I type. I'm lowering the OG and FG for my tastes. I feel like 1.020 is high, but maybe the real beer does finish high. In any case, I'm using the original posts specialty grains along with 12.5 lbs Briess 2-row. My hops are looking like this.

2 oz Columbus @ 60
1 oz Chinook @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 5
2 oz Chinook @ FO

Back