Peat Malt = Manure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
After making my scottish parti gyle, I read that many people say to never use peat malt ever. Too little too late there, but I figured there was only .25# in there so no big deal. Well I just tasted the weaker one which was primaried for a month then in bottles for 3 weeks and holy jebus does it taste like manure. Has anyone else had this problem with peat malt? Will this fade? I now have learned why people say not to use it.

Did you add the Peat malt to just the smaller beer? Meaning did you cap off the mash with the .25# of malt and them add the water for the second beer?

The smoke flavor will fade with time, I cant believe its that bad with such a small amount of smoke malt. May have to rethink my next beer!

It doesn't take much peated malt to be noticeable. Quarter-pound is on the high end for how much you tend to use, when you do use peated malt. Totally different beast than rauchmalt or any of the other smoked malts. It'll abate over time. Not sure I'd describe it as "manure," though, more like "tongue-kissing an old ashtray."

I kind of limit my use of peated malt to 1 oz per 5 gallons. just to drive up complexity. 4 oz or more will kill it every time. Been there done that, fed it to the garden compost pile.

I hear there are two different types of peated malt. Simpsons and another. One I hear is more intense than the other. I think that Simpsons is the more tame version. Again I heard this and have nothing to back it up.

With that said, I did a peat smoked barley wine for me and my cigar smoking friends. I put a full pound in the beer that ended up at 9.5% and it is awesome. Itis an acquired taste.

I think you're being kind by comparing the flavor of peat-smoked malt to manure.

Did you add the Peat malt to just the smaller beer? Meaning did you cap off the mash with the .25# of malt and them add the water for the second beer?

The smoke flavor will fade with time, I cant believe its that bad with such a small amount of smoke malt. May have to rethink my next beer!

No, I used the qp of peat malt in both mashes, I did a BIAB and mashed it twice.

I'm really surprised how pungent it is. I let my fiancee taste it and without saying a word about it she said it tasted like poop. But yeah, I haven't tasted the wee heavy yet, I hope that the manure taste isn't even stronger there. That might end up being a beer I drink next winter.

Back