Three Floyds in Munster, IN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are going to celebrate three tolerating each other by taking a trip to Chicago. We're planning on stopping by Three Floyd's (Darklord Imp Stout) on our way - has anyone been?? I'm hoping to get some bottles and growler fills to take back to Dayton with me.

I'm also aging a bottle of DL (2009) that I'll pop some time next year. I'm in Kettering, just South of Dayton proper.

My in laws live in covington just north there. Sorry to de-rail your thread. From the threads around DL days this past year, 3 Floyds looks like it would be a really fun time. I'm hoping to attend DL days next year.

SWMBO and I are going to celebrate three tolerating each other by taking a trip to Chicago. We're planning on stopping by Three Floyd's (Darklord Imp Stout) on our way - has anyone been?? I'm hoping to get some bottles and growler fills to take back to Dayton with me.

Nice place, small, but nice.
20 taps I think, counting the guest taps.
Good prices on bottles (bombers & 6 packs/cases), reasonable on growlers.
Hoping to get up there soon.

Mid county malt is only about 15 minutes down I-80 to the west if you're looking for bulk grain purchase (and there during the week).

edit: Here's a trip planner for Chicago mass transit:
http://www.rtachicago.com/
Don't forget the Map Room

Enjoy Chicago!

I haven't been there myself yet, but my dad stops there for me when work takes him past the Calumet Ave. exit. He says it's small and has a pretty cool atmosphere.

Last time through he bought me some Gumballhead (A wheat pale ale) and Dreadnaught (IIPA). Both were delicious. I've yet to try the Alpha King.

I live near there. The brew pub is ... ok. I'm not a big fan of 3 Floyds beers, with the exception of Robert the Bruce, so I spent more time drinking "guest" Belgians out of the bottle. Due to archaic Indiana liquor laws, you can't even get a flight of samplers. You can only get a couple of samples at a time, and if you get the wrong bartender, even THAT can be a hassle.
Personally, I'd head into the city and go to Goose Island.

Due to archaic Indiana liquor laws, you can't even get a flight of samplers. You can only get a couple of samples at a time, and if you get the wrong bartender, even THAT can be a hassle.

Indiana does have some incredibly stupid booze laws but i'm not sure what flight law you are talking about. I never have a problem getting a 5-6 flight at any microbreweries.

Indiana does have some incredibly stupid booze laws but i'm not sure what flight law you are talking about. I never have a problem getting a 5-6 flight at any microbreweries.

I asked for a sampler flight, and the bartender told me that due to state laws, they can't do anything like that. It has to do with the number of drinks in front of you (NOT the ammount !). I've even been in grocery stores that have signs that tell you thatyou're limited to the number of cases of beer, or bottles of wine, that you can buy at one time.

Due to archaic Indiana liquor laws, you can't even get a flight of samplers..

Really? I've lived in Indiana all my life and I've never heard of that. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever tried to order a sample flight so maybe it's actually a law and I've just never run into it.

To the OP, it's worth a stop the the pub. Now it's not a big splashy restaurant like many other brewpubs...more like a small taphouse with food. But of you like Three Floyds' brews, it's a good stop to make. I had my kids with me when I stopped so I only stayed for lunch, but I'd have hung out a lot longer had I been childless at the time.

I've gotten a flight of 5 beers at Rock Bottom here in Indy... no issues... Same thing at the RAM downtown.

Oh, don't forget that there are no to go sales in Indiana on Sundays.
Yep - this has to be the most archaic ******* law of all time...

I've heard of places limiting the amount of alcohol that can be purchased by one person, but I think these are only store policies. (perhaps county policies?) I worked in a liquor store and there are no such laws. I've gotten lots of flights in Indiana with no problem as well. Either the bartender there was mis-informed or that is a local ordinance.

on the sunday liquor sales, they are seriously considering changing this law, as well as allowing convenient and grocery stores to sell cold beer, which would be awesome

However, now that I think about it - there have abeen a couple bars where they would not serve a pitcher to just me (I was waiting for my buddy to arrive)... had to order a pint... Dunno if that was law or just a bar policy...

We went out there for part of the day last week. Played some Scrabble while drinking several pints and had a great Scotch Egg. If you are looking for a nice/classy place, this isn't it. It's has a very "chill" atmosphere, which was great.

Oh man, don't I just absolutely hate Indiana Sunday laws. I think everyone in the state does. I hope they change it next year. Good thing MI is only 15-20 mins away and I can drive on over to ghetto old state line liquors for my Sunday night buzz. That is until my home brew skillz level up ha.

3F's is pretty good stuff if you ask me. Although I do enjoy Bell's as well.

I get to FFF a few times a year and love the place. super chill and always some interesting pub only beers on tap and intersting guest taps that don't distribute to Chicago. Furthermore, their food is pretty darn good for a restaurant, not just a brewpub. I recommend the Pork tenderloin, served on a pretzel roll with rotkraut.:mug:

I'm from two towns south of FFF and love going there. Chill atmosphere and great beer. Looking at the post for the Gumball head clone and salivating. btw, Indiana alcohol laws stink

To bring back an issue from earlier in this thread, I was at Three Floyds yesterday for a late lunch, and a couple of women had a flight of samplers in front of them. So obviously it's not an Indiana law of even a Three Floyds policy. Sounds like a lazy bartender.

To bring back an issue from earlier in this thread, I was at Three Floyds yesterday for a late lunch, and a couple of women had a flight of samplers in front of them. So obviously it's not an Indiana law of even a Three Floyds policy. Sounds like a lazy bartender.

Hmmm. Just one me reason for me to NOT go back !

I was at Dark Lord's Day earlier this year and it was very cool. Long lines of course. You won't be able to get bottles of Dark Lord unless you go on Dark Lord's Day, they only sell it that one day of the year. I'm not sure about on tap, I think they may have it during the couple weeks that the event happens, I doubt it is a year round thing though.

I had tickets to get bottles so I stood in line for the brewpub, it had pretty good food and the beer was wonderful. I love their alpha king, dreadnaught is great too. I absolutely adored the vanilla oak aged Dark Lord.

I live near there. The brew pub is ... ok. I'm not a big fan of 3 Floyds beers, with the exception of Robert the Bruce, so I spent more time drinking "guest" Belgians out of the bottle. Due to archaic Indiana liquor laws, you can't even get a flight of samplers. You can only get a couple of samples at a time, and if you get the wrong bartender, even THAT can be a hassle.
Personally, I'd head into the city and go to Goose Island.

I've had flights in many Indiana brew pubs. Never had a problem.

I like the Goose Island near Wrigley, but IMHO, 3F's beer is much better.

I've had flights in many Indiana brew pubs. Never had a problem.

I like the Goose Island near Wrigley, but IMHO, 3F's beer is much better.

I'd recommend you hit up the Goose Island near North Avenue, they have ~22 beers on tap and do some fantastic classic styles. just my $.02

My dad stopped in today to grab me a growler on his way home from Chicago. After he bought it, the bartender told him that they don't refill growlers because there is no way for them to guarantee that they're clean, so you have to buy a new growler each time.

Anybody know what's up with that? What do they think every other brewery in the country does?

I never replied to this...we went there and I couldn't have been happier. The staff was friendly, the food (burgers) was good, and the beer was great. I walked out of there with 3 Dreadnaughts, 2 sixers of Alpha King, a sixer of Robert The Bruce, and Gumballhead, and a Behemouth. Everything was delicious, and I plan on going back for a re-stocking trip soon. I got a flight with no issue whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back