What would this do to my gavity in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps_phisto

Reaction score
I used the NB Am All-grain kit but also purchased this cherry puree http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oregon-cherry-puree.html for secondary. The side of the can states that this puree has a gravity of 1.092-1.115 but it doesn't give a dilution ratio. Does anyone know how this will affect my overall gravity for the batch. I'm assuming it will raise it, but I would like to know by how much so I can calc ABV.

So using that calc I put in my starting gravity of 1.054. That leads to ~8.7lbs of sugar per US gallon. I took that with the ~9.1 lbs for the puree @ 1.092. I combined the two pound amounts and reclaculated which leads to a SG of ~2.1?! Does that sound right? Is that how that page is supposed to function?

Do you know what you want your original gravity to be? or do you know how much you are adding to the secondary? If the whole can what is the volume?

So I saw that the can weighs 1.39kg. using an sg of 1.092, means that you have 1.27kg water, and the remaining is 0.12 kg dissolved sugar. Thats 120 grams sugar in one can.

That makes more sense

My starting grav is 1.054 (92% efficient) I plan on adding the whole can. Just wondering what my final ABV would be as it's not the straight OG/FG model I'm used to.

Your new gravity will be around 1.056-1.057 because of the 120 gram sugar addition of the cherry stuff.

Therefore it wont affect it that much, there is not that much volume so all that sugar gets diluted in your 5 gallon batch.

You can calculate ABV from the many calculators when you get your final gravity before you bottle. Keep in mind though that adding priming sugar usually raises it a half percent or so also.

Back