How much time to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbel

Reaction score
I received a turkey fryer for Christmas with a 30qt pot. I believe it is 35,000 btu s. I did a test run boiling water in that pot. It took about 30min to bring 6gallons to a boil from probably around 55-60 F . I didn't think that was to bad. Today I picked up a used 40qt pot at a local Restaurant supply store.
It took me just over 50min to get 7.5 gallons to a boil. That seems awfully long. Granted it's added volume of 1.5 gallons I don't think that should take that long. The only other variable is that, because the pot is bigger in diameter it actually sits on the ring that keeps the smaller pot from sliding around. Lifting the pot almost 2" higher. Do you think those two factors would make that much difference? I was thinking of either cuttting the ring or raising the burner. It would be easy for me to raise the burner to get it back with in the range it was intended to work. Do you think that would make that much of a difference?

Yes, it could make a huge difference. The heat is probably focused inside the ring, which is the whole pot in the first case and a smaller part of the pot in the second case. Also, having the ring sealed instead of open is probably restricting airflow.

You might try lifting the put off of the ring with spacers, if that improves the boil time then you might want to start cutting things

The way the larger pot sits on the burner actually would increase airflow. I'll go take some pics to show what I've got.

I started with a turkey fryer, too, then moved to a larger pot that sat on top of the ring. And yes, it slowed my boil. So I got out my tool box, removed the ring, and bent the supports until they lay flat. Now the pot sits about as far away from the flame as the old smaller pot did, and all is right with the world.

Well... here's how the new pot sits....
IMG_20120109_234255.jpg

here's the original pot on the unit.....
IMG_20120109_234433.jpg

and here's a pic without the pots......

IMG_20120109_234416.jpg

I think tomorrow I'll do some cutting and give it another go. Or maybe just push the support for the burner up a bit, I could bend it or use some shims under it.

thanks for the replies.

Your picture looks a lot like my setup. When I got the larger pot, I took out a wrench, removed the ring, then bent the supporting arms flat (using my vice). That brought the pot down to where the old one sat inside the ring--and so closer to the frame.

BTW, if you want a more powerful burner, you can just replace the burner. The rest is just metal--no need to pay for it twice. Many sources will allow you to replace the burner with another one that fits. Here is one from Amazon that will fit the frame you have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Your picture looks a lot like my setup. When I got the larger pot, I took out a wrench, removed the ring, then bent the supporting arms flat (using my vice). That brought the pot down to where the old one sat inside the ring--and so closer to the frame.

BTW, if you want a more powerful burner, you can just replace the burner. The rest is just metal--no need to pay for it twice. Many sources will allow you to replace the burner with another one that fits. Here is one from Amazon that will fit the frame you have:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic BG10 High Pressure Cast-Iron Replacement Burner for Round Bayou Classic Cooker Frames: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I've been looking at the other burners. The ring on mine is welded so I would have to cut it off. I don't think it would effect the function, I believe the ring is simply a safety feature to keep the original pot on.
I'll work with it today and see what I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I lifted the burner up by almost 2 inches and gave it another go. It brought 7 gallons to a rolling boil in about 35 min. Still not great but much better. I'll use it that way for now and order a new burner later.

Well... here's how the new pot sits....
IMG_20120109_234255.jpg

here's the original pot on the unit.....
IMG_20120109_234433.jpg

and here's a pic without the pots......

IMG_20120109_234416.jpg

I think tomorrow I'll do some cutting and give it another go. Or maybe just push the support for the burner up a bit, I could bend it or use some shims under it.

thanks for the replies.

I had the same issue with mine. I cut the ring down so the bigger pot sits on the 3 supports. I also used the metal I cut to make some extra support for the bigger pot.. I'll go take a photo and post it for you..

Here it is...

This photo shows me pointing to the ring being flush to the 3 support loops..
IMG00491-20120110-2111.jpg

This one shows me pointing to the extra supports I installed for the bigger pot..
IMG00492-20120110-2111.jpg
[/IMG]

I also plan on raising the burner this weekend like you did...

Back