Good HBS for fresh yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabbey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I live out of the US and while I can get fairly fresh Wyeast, it is quite expensive (around $US26 per packet).

I would like to buy my yeast online from a homebrew store in the US and have them ship it to a freight forwarder in CA to ship internationally.

I know this isn't without its risks, but I want to try it out.

So, can anyone recommend a HBS with online ordering, a consistently fresh stock of a wide range of yeast strains, and can offer ice packs?

Cheers
Crabbey

Morebeer or Williams out of CA would have the shortest shipping distance and possibly the highest turnover.

More beer is in riverside ca...that will cut down on some time.

Also I would get the vial and make a huge starter and then throw in refer and split them up into 6 or so .5 pint mason jars. Then when you want yeast take one out make a starter from it and bam you got yeast...read under the stickies for some more in depth help.working off mobile app

26 bones for a wyeast......ouch

I'd contact my LHBS Hood River Brewing Supply in Hood River Oregon and have them send it to you by mail. You probably can't get much fresher than that considering that is where Wyeast is located. Steinbarts in a much larger shop in Portland would probably do it as well.

FWIW Wy'east is the Multnomah Indian name for Mt Hood.

Thanks very much guys.

Yeah ouch indeed! Not really any other option aside from dry ATM I'm afraid.

Now as far as cost goes, if say I buy in CA, then ship to CA, I'm liable to pay a rather hefty sales tax? And if I bought in any other state and shipped to CA, I can avoid their taxes? Sorry for the stoopid question but normally I have any goods shipped directly.

Cheers again

Crabbey

More beer is in riverside ca...that will cut down on some time.

I believe all of Morebeer's shipments come from their Concord [Norcal] location, not Riverside [SoCal]. For UPS/Fedex, that can be a day difference in ground shipments (1 day vs. 2 day), depending where the destination is. Living in SoCal, if I buy online from Morebeer and ship ground, it takes 2 days to arrive.

Just FYI depending where this freight forwarder is located (or if the OP might choose the forwarder in a location that will be closer to the shipment origin).

If I were you I'd become THE expert on yeast washing/slanting/etc. Hell, I reuse yeast all the time and a new vial from a great vendor (AHS) is 20 mins away for 7 bucks.

You might want to prioritize finding versatile yeasts etc as well. Bottle harvesting is a good option as well. I love Wyeast 3711 French Saison btw. Little spicy, fruity, and tears through anything. If you're gonna lay out 26 bones or jump through crazy hoops I'd say that bad boy is at least worth it.

+1 to slanting, I have started it and I'm hooked. I get my yeast from anywhere and every where. Once I have it in my library I have it for good. Most yeasts required can be harvested from bottles. Once you have a system that works for you it is as easy as planning your recipe.

I'm thinking about moving home to Australia and I checked, I can get White Labs but is it Au$18 or about $22USD per vial, I think I'm going to start a big slant library at that price.

Clem

Clem

The forwarder (Shipito) is in Torrance, CA 90503. There aren't really any other options on the West Coast that are cost effective enough to use.

Slanting. Probably not. I brew for a living and very regularly homebrew so I need some time for non-brewing activities! I do wash and repitch yeast, but I'm doing a lot of experimenting ATM so hence the need for a decent supply of new yeast.

So Morebeer seems like a good option then. FWIW it looks like if I buy eight at a time I halve the price.

Regarding shipping options I need a balance between cost and speed. Here are the MoreBeer choices:

UPS Ground (3 - 4 Business Days) 10.77
UPS 3-Day Select 15.30
UPS 2nd Day Air (Arrives Thu, Sep 1) 19.02
UPS Next Day Air Saver (Arrives Wed, Aug 31) 52.78
UPS Next Day Air (Arrives Wed, Aug 31) 57.43
USPS Priority Mail 8.58

I'm thinking UPS 2nd day air? Can @bwarbiany or any other SoCal people give me their opinion?

Cheers guys. I owe you a home brew!

Wow, I hadn't seen Yeastman before. I'll definitely be looking into that. Cheers

Back