Have no Crystal 40L... but have 60L and 20L...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I wanna brew a simple ESB tonight but the recipe calls for 40L... Can anyone recommend a good replacement for a 1/2 lb of Crystal 40?

thanks!

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but I've been reading a lot. :) )

You'll get different flavors from 60 and 20 than 40... if that's all I had, I'd probably sub something like a couple ounces of crystal 60 and 6 ounces of crystal 20. It won't be the same as 8 ounces of crystal 40, but it's not an unreasonable substitution, IMO.

What I've learned so far, though, is that it's not just a matter of the numbers; the darker crystal malt imparts different flavors altogether (raisin, plum, etc.) than the medium and light ones.

crystal 20 and crystal 60 is going to have a different flavor, but it's not that big of a deal to just use crystal 40 if its only 5% of the grist

ok thanks guys - just wasn't sure of how big a difference it would make if I combined 20L and 60L... I guess it won't be the same, but I'm sure it won;t be bad beer!

I ended up having a few too many with some company this evening, so I am not brewing til tomorrow morning now... lol..

Latest posts

Back