Crazy ways to open a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
Found this video this morning and thought I would share. Hadn't seen it yet on HBT.

Last edited by a moderator:
People rely on me to open bottles for them in the absence of a proper opener...usually I do it with a lighter or a water bottle though, nothing as dangerous as some of these guys. Reminds me of the joke...what are the last words a redneck says before he dies..."hey guys look what I can do."

For the life of me, I cannot open a beer with a lighter. Although I've only ever attempted it once I've lost any semblance of coordination. :drunk:

lighters are usually the way to go at a party or bbq. My very first boss could open a bottle with his teeth. I still cringe when I think of it.
Besides lighters I've used keys, knifes, table tops, etc... Pretty much anything you can get leverage with. it's all about the leverage! :)

counter tops can be dangerous...might damage the corner. I have tried to use my wedding ring, but it puts so much torque on my finger that pain stops me from success.

For the life of me, I cannot open a beer with a lighter. Although I've only ever attempted it once I've lost any semblance of coordination. :drunk:

Me too. I'm pretty strong and mechanically minded, but the lighter thing foils me :cross:

counter tops can be dangerous...might damage the corner. I have tried to use my wedding ring, but it puts so much torque on my finger that pain stops me from success.

Lucky you didn't ruin your ring. I've never been able to do it either, but I've bent up a nice ring while trying.

The lighter method, or a tightly folded-up dollar bill for the non-smokers, is the best I've found. Like bobeer said it's all about leverage. Lighter = lever, finger = fulcrum.

Ive heard of using dollar bills and even paper. Lighter took me a little but after that Scissors, knife, another beer, butter knife ..stuff like that all easy after learning the lighter.

I just give the bottle a look & it opens. but if you git it too hard a look, the bottle explodes & you get cut.

Picture 066.jpg

Bensiff said:
People rely on me to open bottles for them in the absence of a proper opener...usually I do it with a lighter or a water bottle though, nothing as dangerous as some of these guys. Reminds me of the joke...what are the last words a redneck says before he dies..."hey guys look what I can do."

As a redneck myself the proper saying is hay y'all watch this

My keys are on a decomissioned climbing(important) carabiner so I usually use method. I want to try the ' stabbing a can with your thumb' routine but I keep envisioning my thumb getting filleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
ipopiad said:
I have one of those, but for some reason the metal reacts with my skin and anywhere it touches turns this really gross green color. I have no idea why or what it's made of that makes this happen, but I don't wear the ring anymore because of it.

OT: that is b/c you are allergic to nickel

On topoc: I'm German, i can open beer with almost everything. But since one of my classmates chipped a tooth while opening a beer I dont do it like that anymore. But i have never remained thirsty in front of a closed bottle of beer for longer that 30 seconds :)

You can also use another unopened beer. Google it. Simple until you get to the last one in the case, at that point you can probably be more creative....

Yeah, I second the paper or cardboard. For instance, last night I used a six pack folded up, worked like a charm, and it baffled people.

I us my wedding ring. My wife complains about it, but its titanium and doesn't have a scratch on it.

Last week I used an empty beer can. Worked wonders but bent the can all to hell. Next time I think I will use a full one.

I use anything I can get some leverage on, shell on the beach , once a flat rock.

Back