Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cape Brewing said:
Is Mike Ditka really considered a "coaching great"? He's in the HOF as a player. He obviously had the '85 Bears but that team was based very heavily on that defense... a part if the team Ditka didnt really have anything to do with. That was all Buddy Ryan. Also, like you said, he had one of the best RBs ever and while McMahon ain't close in the "great QB" category, he did set career highs for yards and TDs in '85.

What else did he really do as a coach?? Other than the Ricky Williams draft circus?

They did have the "Super Bowl Shuffle"

Belichick's dress code, and in fact most the head coaches in the league, irritate me. I miss the good days when NFL coaches wore suits and represented their franchise with class and professionalism. The Kraft family seems content to allow Belichick to dress like a homeless man so long as he keeps on winning. As much as I dislike basketball, the college and pro coaches still know how to dress with style.

Suits, approved NFL gear or homeless style is all better than dressing like you're an MLB player when you're 63 years old.

Wes Welker is a Bronco...Stupid move for the Pats. I usually agree with most of there moves, but this one stinks...WTF!!

Bwahahahaha.

Looks like a two-year deal worth $12 million. Pathetic that the Pats couldn't or wouldn't match that.

So f'in glad he is out of the division!!! Cannot tell you how many times he has converted a crucial third down against us r, more often than not, just plain kicked our asses.

Great, now we have to ignore 3 more pages of Darwin and Cape rehashing the exact same points while they think they're arguing with each other?

:mug:

bluemoose said:
Now he can drop a game winning pass against us in the afc chamionship game.

Good luck making it to another AFC title game with that awful defense and no one for Brady to pass to except two very talented TEs.

WOW... six posts!! I'm shocked, I would have thought it would have been within the first three.

blah blah blah... all words of pure jealousy because your teams suck. The Pats did something stupid that was no worse than what dozens of other teams have pulled over the years but because the Pats have absolutely owned everyone this decade, they're the worse thing since Hitler. Blah blah blah...

Start calling them the Cheatriots... that'll be original and not played out at all... it's only been four years.

They haven't won a super bowl since they got caught cheating.

Hmmm, coaches who (at least at one point) had a pretty stellar coaching career without a dynamite QB... Andy Reid never really had a great quarterback. Honestly I'd take Bledsoe the whiner over Donovan McNabb. I watched McNabb even when he was in college and he had a lot of great potential but he always held back and frankly I think it really kept him from becoming a stellar QB in the NFL because it frequently resulted in bad decisions at the worst possible time. I'd also argue that Reid's "system" did better than Belichick's on the multiple occasions that McNabb (who some tried to argue was elite and I still maintain they were drinking the garbage can hooch long and heavy before saying so) and he proceeded to have the same results with other scrub fill in quarterbacks. I'm just saying, give him a Brady or a Manning for example and he'd have probably won 1-2 super bowls at the minimum and maybe even 3 or 4.

As for Welker, I said it before and I'll say it again, Welker was Brady's security blanket. Better give Branch a call of they're pretty much screwed. Playoff team? Sure. But out in the 1st round. Denver on the other hand now with a couple pretty good possession receivers (one of which is the best slot guy in the NFL) and one speed guy is starting to look respectable. Pick up another speed guy and some talent at RB to take the strain off McGahee so that they don't have to resort to Butterfingers when he gets hurt (Yes yes, I know Moreno did decent for a while there last year at the very end with minimal to no fumbles) and they'll be winning a Super Bowl. That is, of course, barring the refs bought off. Their officiating has gotten so terrible at times I'm starting to reminisce the "replacements."

Also, I take the exact polar opposite stance Darwin. While I don't have a problem with coaches who dress up in suits to be on the sidelines (it's stupid that the NFL c0ckblocks that.), I think you should be able to wear what you're comfortable in. I don't buy the "be professional" crap personally because it's still football. Regardless of the level of it. These are the same players who'll go out after the game and stab people and hide the evidence (Lewis), shoot themselves in the leg (Plaxico), and run over traffic cops (Moss) after all...

Pats just signed Wes Welker Jr. (Danny Amendola), for 5/$31 ($10M guaranteed). Essentially the same per-year figure, but a much younger player who does basically the same things that Welker does. I'm not happy with this overall (not every wideout connects with Brady, and Ameddola's had a lot of injuries), but it makes some sense - they've gotten a lot younger on defense, now they're doing the same on O.

Like Welker, Amendola was an undrafted free agent out of Texas Tech who has since settled in as a productive player when healthy. He managed 63 catches in 11 games in 2012 and had his best season in 2010 when he totaled 85 catches for 689 yards and three touchdowns.

He has excellent quickness and is a precise route runner with reliable hands and he has some familiarity with Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who held the same position in St. Louis during the 2011 season (Amendola was limited to just one game that year, however).

EDIT: Seems to me like they just went back in time and got the 2008 Wes Welker, instead of the 2013 model. Welker didn't have much for stats until he went to NE, either.

The Cliff avril signing I am happy with. Not an aging free agent that commands a huge price.

Pats just signed Wes Welker Jr. (Danny Amendola), for 5/$31 ($10M guaranteed). Essentially the same per-year figure, but a much younger player who does basically the same things that Welker does. I'm not happy with this overall (not every wideout connects with Brady, and Ameddola's had a lot of injuries), but it makes some sense - they've gotten a lot younger on defense, now they're doing the same on O.

EDIT: Seems to me like they just went back in time and got the 2008 Wes Welker, instead of the 2013 model. Welker didn't have much for stats until he went to NE, either.

Sure. Keep saying it. Maybe it will come true. :rolleyes:

It's a big deal that Welker is going to the Broncos and it's an even bigger deal that they signed him for $6 million per season, which by the way is way less than the $9.5 million he played for last season. I understand the Pats have a dollar value assigned to each position in building their roster but they signed Welker-lite for 5 years at $31 million total. They're not making a significant savings here.

Have fun traveling to Denver next January to have Welker kick you in the teeth.

Darwin18 said:
Sure. Keep saying it. Maybe it will come true. :rolleyes:

It's a big deal that Welker is going to the Broncos and it's an even bigger deal that they signed him for $6 million per season, which by the way is way less than the $9.5 million he played for last season. I understand the Pats have a dollar value assigned to each position in building their roster but they signed Welker-lite for 5 years at $31 million total. They're not making a significant savings here.

Have fun traveling to Denver next January to have Welker kick you in the teeth.

I don't think they signed Amendola to replace Welker. I doubt they will be sending a little guy over the middle. I think we will see sets with three or four Tight ends. Everybody is forgetting Ballard. He should be healthy and ready to go next season. With Gronk, Hernandez, Fells and Ballard, what the hell kind of coverage are you going to use? Two young running backs that are ready to break out and that kind of blocking and play action? Poor Denver isn't going to be able to keep up.

Now to sign Ed Reed and Namdi for the back end to complement Talib and Mccourty.

Bulls Beers said:
Yeah and both of them get hurt..I just don't get what they are thinking. I'm all about in Bill we trust..Not sure this time..

The offense is moving away from what we have done the past few years. By changing to a more balanced offense with better blocking and mismatches over the middle with big tight ends they will be able to keep Brady upright and squeeze a few more years out of him. I loved Welker while he was here, but if you are not changing the game plan in the league, someone is cruising by you. I'm guessing BB hasn't been stockpiling tightends because of their wit and sense of humor.

I am not saying I am all super psyched with the whole thing the Pats just pulled off with Welker and Amendola but two quick thoughts:

1) every article and comment I have seen on it points out how hurt Amendola always is and how Welker is never hurt... How are people forgetting that Welker blew out an ACL a couple of years ago? They forget because it was, I think, the second to last game they played that year and by the start of the next season, Welker was back. So the injury took place at the very end of the year... what if it was the first game instead of at the end? And he missed the whole season? Are we still having this conversation? So because Welker got hurt late in the season, he is more "dependable"?

2). I would like to see what Amendola's contract looks like. If it is heavily back-loaded and cap-friendly compared to what Welker would have been... That makes me feel better about it.

Oh... And I actually like the fact that the Pats gave Welker a nice extra middle finger with the Amendola dollar totals. "Oh Wes, you got $6mm per year? Meh... We're gonna give Amendola $6.2mm... Sorry but we didn't have $6mm for you."

Sounds like it's only $10M guaranteed, and it's a five-year deal so that if he IS as good as they think he is, he's under team control for a long while. He played under McDaniels for a little while in St. Louis (the year he missed basically the whole season), so you've got to figure he knows at least the basics of the system, and McDaniels has a sense of whether he'll fit in or not.

I just hope they get the defensive backfield straightened out before too long.

Sounds like it's only $10M guaranteed, and it's a five-year deal so that if he IS as good as they think he is, he's under team control for a long while. He played under McDaniels for a little while in St. Louis (the year he missed basically the whole season), so you've got to figure he knows at least the basics of the system, and McDaniels has a sense of whether he'll fit in or not.

I just hope they get the defensive backfield straightened out before too long.

Again... Not saying I am all excited by the move but, per usual, the Boston media is treating only as the worst sports decision ever made by any team... but the very reason all space and time will now collapse in upon itself putting an end to our, and all future, universes.

I'd take Welker over Amendola at twice the price. Few "good" players have translated to good timing/chemistry with Brady and the only one I can think of who did, did it with both of Brady's security blankets there. If only one of the two gets a ring from here on, i'm betting it's Welker.

Farewell Wes, we East Coasters won't soon forget the butt plug in the middle of it all.

baaaaaaaaahahahahahaahhaahhhhaa!!!!

i freakin' love bird's little "analyses". they crack me up.

I'd take Welker over Amendola at twice the price. Few "good" players have translated to good timing/chemistry with Brady and the only one I can think of who did, did it with both of Brady's security blankets there. If only one of the two gets a ring from here on, i'm betting it's Welker.

You've been reading too much Ron Borges.

I'd take Welker over Amendola for 2013... but that's not how BB looks at these things. He's trying to set the team up to be competitive, basically indefinitely. Everyone expects he's in a "Brady's getting old! All hands on deck!" role, but he's not, he's trying constantly to set the franchise up to still be successful in 2016. Other teams don't really do that, and I'd argue that it's a main reason why they've been so consistently good for so many years running.

Article from Mike Reiss this morning had the Pats offering Welker a 2/$10M deal, with it possible going up to $16M (or $18M, can't remember) with incentives that Welker thought were unreasonably difficult. They hit an impass, and the Pats worried about losing both Welker and Amendola so they went ahead with the Amendola deal so they wouldn't get shut out from both.

The absolutely fuctarded thing is that when they were negotiating on a three-year deal last season, they were within $1M - but neither side was budging.

I'll admit, the whole Welker thing hasn't made a lot of sense. They've been so close, it seems completely ****ed that a deal was never done. So, I'm not happy (especially with Welker going to Denver; Manning is going to LOVE him), but I'm happy that at the very least we've got Amendola. If he's healthy (and that's the huge *if*), he'll put up numbers.

But, they still need to spend $$ for a "stretch the field" wideout and to solidify the defensive backfield.

One last random Welker thought...

If Welker is the be-all-end-all and letting him go was the worst move in history of sports... why did he only get a two year deal making, I think, less than 65% of what he made last year... out in the open market?

Back