Strawberry picking season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So strawberry picking season is coming up if the sun ever comes out. Does anyone have a great recipe for a strawberry wine? I have yet to actually make a wine, just put together the apfelwein from Edwort. A recipe and any tips would be appreciated.
SWMBO needs something to drink while I'm drinking homebrew!

Thanks

Dinnerstick,

I had seen that on a search. Have you done any of those 4 recipes? If so, which one, and how did it come out. Did you agree with the time table, and follow the recipe exactly?
We get some really sweet strawberries up here, and don't have enough things to do with them. You can only eat so many without slipping into a diabetic coma. I think wine will be a great solution for some of the less attractive berries.

Thanks

sorry i have never made a strawberry wine, was just looking at recipes on that site when i saw your post. i'm sure others more knowledgeable will comment

Just started a strawberry rhubarb wine from that site. Thinking those 2 together will make a good wine.

OK. I have put together the first wine on that page. I have two questions:
I notice there is no Pectin Enzyme. Should I put some in? If so, can it go in before I rack it for the first time?
Is there anything that can be done with the Strawberry trub left after racking? Kinda want to use it after having picked all those berries. A couple pies perhaps?

Thanks

I notice there is no Pectin Enzyme. Should I put some in? If so, can it go in before I rack it for the first time?
Is there anything that can be done with the Strawberry trub left after racking? Kinda want to use it after having picked all those berries. A couple pies perhaps?

Thanks

if the recipe didn't call for it I would leave it out. as for the trub SKEETER PEE!!!!

Thanks

Since it wasn't added pre-fermentation, I'd hold off now and only add it if you have a pectin haze that won't clear with some time.

Steve,

I read through the skeeter pee recipe. I thank you for the suggestion. It looks like something worth trying.
While reading through the skeeter pee recipe I realized that I made a mistake on my wine. I put in yeast energizer instead of yeast nutrient. I had assumed they were the same, you know what happens when you assume...
Any thoughts on what will happen, or if it is correctable?

I will leave out the pectin extract as Yooper suggests. Should I make the determination to add it after a couple of rackings if the wine does not clear?

Thanks

Steve,

I read through the skeeter pee recipe. I thank you for the suggestion. It looks like something worth trying.
While reading through the skeeter pee recipe I realized that I made a mistake on my wine. I put in yeast energizer instead of yeast nutrient. I had assumed they were the same, you know what happens when you assume...
Any thoughts on what will happen, or if it is correctable?

I will leave out the pectin extract as Yooper suggests. Should I make the determination to add it after a couple of rackings if the wine does not clear?

Thanks

I think you're fine with the energizer, but it's nice to have both on hand.

If the wine doesn't clear, you could use the pectic enzyme later. But I'd let it be and see- as long as you didn't simmer or boil the fruit, it should clear. Strawberries have lots of pectin, but it still should clear.

So I just racked this to another carboy after a month. Should I add either yeast energizer or nutrient at this point? I only ended up with about 4-4.25 gal after racking off the trub. Is this normal? should I top of or just let it go from here?

Thanks

Just bottled this tonight. I came up with about 16% alcohol. Interested if others come in that high with strawberry, and how long this is going to have to sit. I figure 6 months min.

I made some strawberry wine in 2002 and the alcohol flavor never mellowed out. I also made it have a high 16% alc. content. I hope yours gets better. I never tried it again. From what I've read ppl say to make strawberry wine around 12% unless you have a lot of flavor. Mine didn't have much flavor.

Yalls strawberry picking season is late! We will be picking in a little more than a month from now!

saramc said:
So take it your wine turned out well? The one from 6/2011?

Yup. Tried a bottle last night. Most of the alcohol taste has mellowed and the sweet strawberry taste is shining through. I'm not much of a wine guy, but I was pretty impressed. Certainly the best I have made thus far.
I can see it continuing to get better with age too. I'm pretty excited to see how it ages over the next couple of years.

Yeah, it was much better. I am always amazed how alcohol changes over time. Some beers I put on tap and think, meh. Couple weeks later, it doesn't even taste like the same beer.
I was very happy how this turned out. I look forward to tasting the evolution on this one.

Back