Fermenting Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons,of using fermenting bins with snap on lids and no airlock or bubbler,or fermenters with a screw lid(2-4" screw tops with a hole for a cork and bubbler)?

Can you experts help please?:p

Colin

oxford brewer said:
What are the pros and cons,of using fermenting bins with snap on lids and no airlock or bubbler,or fermenters with a screw lid(2-4" screw tops with a hole for a cork and bubbler)?

Can you experts help please?:p

Colin

If you were to use a fermentation bin with snap on lid with no way for pressure to escape, you are asking for trouble. Also I believe that yeast will die with high pressure CO2...anyone know more about this? Plus you want the Oxygen to escape to keep your beer from oxygenating.

I think the lid would just pop off. I don't think it would really be dangerous, but it would certainly annoy you and your beer would probably get contaminated after a while.
As for yeast dying under pressure, I don't know. They certainly last long enough to carbonate beer. I don't think a plastic bucket could with stand enough pressure to kill off the yeast.

I've seen it happen when the airlock gets clogged. The sides of the bucket will expand out to the shape of a ball then the lid will pop leaving quite a mess on the walls and ceiling. Always use an airlock or blowoff tube or you will have a lot less beer to enjoy. Btw, the pressure won't affect the yeast at all.

Wild

Back