Did I ruin my kettle or am I safe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttieb

Reaction score
So after my last brew day I thought that I would really do a good job of cleaning out my brew kettle so I got out my PBW and put that into my kettle full of water. Unfortunately something came up and I forgot about it until bb2 days later. When I remembered I dumped out the water and there was a large brown spot where the PBW residue had settled on the bottom along with a powdery residue all over the kettle.

So I cleaned out the kettle with a sponge and hot water and then I did a hour long boil that got rid of the brown spot on the bottom and i was able to get rid of most of the residue. But along the sides there are now some weird streak marks. I've posted pictures to show what i'm talking about

So my question is did i really mess up my kettle or should it be ok to keep using it. I know PBW is suppose to be safe but did it do anything to my kettle???
Also if I did miss any PBW residue will my beer be safe in the next match?

Thanks for any help that you can give!!!

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

PBW is not safe for Aluminum. It's OK for SS, and you can use it in AL for short periods, but it does a number on your AL pots if you leave it soaking for more than an hour or so. I did the same thing to my turkey fryer after boiling some corn and clams. Left black streaks everywhere. I think the pot is OK though.

yeah the pot seems to be ok but it does seem like theres little bumps at the bottom edge and feels a little rough. otherwise things look ok, I'm just worried that maybe it wouldnt be safe to use?

If your worried, hit it with some Bar Keepers Friend or Ajax. Scrub the sh*& out of it with a sponge and rinse. If its stained.....oh well. Use it and consider it 'seasoned'. LOL..... :tank:

SOS steel scouring pads also work well to remove stains. Rinse thoroughly. I read somewhere that imperfections in the boiler surface actually help things though I can't say how, or where I read it.

Sandpaper - or those 3M sanding blocks that have a sponge in the middle - 150 grit works well. I burnt the bejesus out of some LME a few batches ago, and wet sanding with the 150 took the black right off of my kettle.

The roughness would probably be etching and as long as you are careful cleaning it, you're good.

+1 for some Bar Keepers Friend, a touch of hot water to get it to a "toothpaste in your mouth while brushing" consistency and a green scratcher pad. Wear rubber gloves or the Acid in the BKF will majorly dry your hands out.

Back