OT: (Very) small shipping container to Europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
BIL has a new work assignment in Europe, starting in a couple of months and employer is covering the shipping of personal items.

I have a few things I need to ship over there of my own, (small personal stuff, no commercial or contraband goods) and am thinking of giving it to him to add to his stuff, and I will collect them later.

I am thinking very small container of some sort, 120 lbs capacity or so?

Anybody knows about the kind of containers suitable for this purpose?

Bump.

Forget about BIL idea, but the need to ship as described still exist.

Anybody on here well-versed in shipping small containers overseas..?

I am thinking wooden crate, equivalent in size to two good-size suitcases, approx.

I'm not clear from your post ... If the employer is covering the shipping of personal items, and assuming they are going to use a professional shipper, why do you need the extra shipping crate versus just putting it in with what they'll pack for him?

In any regard, the shipper that is going to do his stuff will probably have their own method of packing to minimize space and breakage ... they might very well take your items out of the packing you have put them in and repack them to their liking ... especially because they likely have liability for breakage. You might consider putting some softer type items in soft-side containers such as contractor bags (these are a heavy duty garbage bag sold at home centers like home depot) and true valuables that will be additionally insured in separate smaller boxes. This way the moving company will be able to re-pack your items as necessary, yet they will be separated from his items.

beergears said:
beergears said:
I have a few things I need to ship over there of my own, (small personal stuff, no commercial or contraband goods) and am thinking of giving it to him to add to his stuff, and I will collect them later.
No employer or shipper involved, just me and my own stuff.

Most stuff is of the non-breakable kind, no great value.

So, if I understand, you intend to ship it to him and then he will hold it til you get there.

Because it is so incredibly expensive to ship stuff overseas, and that you've said that the actual value of the items is low, I'd just take the money that would have spent on shipping and just re-purchase those items when you get there. My O.H. finds there is nothing like a shopping excursion to get to know somewheres when travelling.

Back