Yeast For Beaujolais Pyment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WuWeiBrewing

Reaction score
I am planning on making a pyment with 12 pounds of Tupelo honey and 8 pounds (96 fluid ounces) of Gamay juice concentrate (the kind of grape used to make Beaujolais wine). I have made a few braggots in the past, but this is my first pyment and I am unsure of which yeast strain to use, or which would be best. I am also planning to age this on medium french oak cubes for about 6 months.

The yeast strains I have in mind are Wyeast Chateau Red 4028 and Lalvin 71B. Does anyone have any experience with either of these strains? Would one be more preferable over the other in this particular situation?

Thanks!

Dunno, but Ken Schramm says Steinberg (Wyeast 3237, white Labs WLP727) is suited to pyments. Also that Rudisheimer (Wyeast 3783) is suited to white wine pyments.

Well if you're gonna use concentrate, then it depends on whether you want to retain as much colour as possible or not.

If it was from pressed grape and you had the skins handy, then I'd have thought that RC-212 might be good.

I made a pyment with Alexanders Burgundy juice concentrate, Sour Cherry juice and local wild flower honey. Its just a few months old, but getting mighty tasty.

I used Cotes de Blanc dry yeast.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't have the skins; it's an Alexander's juice concentrate as well. I think I'm actually going to give the Chateau Red a try and see what happens. I'll post its progress for anyone interested. Does anyone have any experience with this particular strain, though?

How did it go? I am going to try this strain with my Cab/Merlot blend this year.

Back