Like hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
I experimented a little bit with an american pale ale recipe my LHBS offers and I must say, I'm pleased with the results. I just cracked the first one after 5 days in the bottle, and it is by far the best I've brewed, in my short experience. I hope I can let these age a bit before I drink them all.. :D

It's definitely hoppy, but IMO, not overdone.

6.6 lbs. Light or Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. British Pale Grain (cracked)
¾ oz. Chinook Hops - 60 min
[size=-1]¼ [/size]oz. Cascade Hops - 60 min
2[size=-1]¼[/size] oz. Cascade Hops - 30/50/0 min
1½ oz. Cascade Hops - Dry hop
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - American Ale

Mash all grains in 1 gal water at 158°F for 60 min. Sparge at 170°F to make 2 gal. Add malt, ¾ oz. Chinook and [size=-1]¼[/size] oz Cascade. Boil for 60 min. adding ¾ oz. Cascade at 30 minute mark (mid-point of boil), another ¾ oz. at 50 minute mark, & final ¾ oz. after boil has stopped. Let sit for 10 min. (to allow for steeping). Strain into fermenter filled with 3 gal. ice cold water. Pitch yeast when cooled to 80°F or lower. Dry hop last 1½ oz. Cascade in secondary for 1-2 weeks before bottling.

homebrewer_99 said:
What was the IBUs of the hops?

To be honest, I haven't a clue. :drunk:

The adjustments I made to the original recipe were these:

- Increased mash time from 30 to 60 min.
- An extra .25 oz Cascade added to boil and at each addition.
- 1.5 oz Cascade dry hop (no dry hop in the original recipe).

I get peeved at some recipes that say use a certain hop and then doesn't give you an IBU rating.

Then I think again and say to myself that it really doesn't matter as long as the end product is within range.

Problem is when your use of malt is on the top end of the scale and your hops are on the bottom your brew is going to be a tad sweeter than expected and vice versa, malt on the low end and hops on the high will produce a more bitter flavor than desired.

justbrewit, you REALLY seem to like hops, man.

Maybe you should just roll up a big fat doobie of hop flowers and puff away. :)

-walker

justbrewit said:
i plugged in tomarrows beer into promash and i'm getting over 125 IBU's for this one!!!!!
What did you use for your calculations? I get 68 IBU on TastyBrew. Are you plugging that '50 min' 0.75 oz addition in as 50 minutes boil time or 10? ;)

here's my hopping schedule.
1 oz of Yakima Magnum hops aau 14.4%(60 mins)
1 oz Northern Brewer (Leaf) aau 9%(45 mins)
1/2 oz centennial hops aau 8.5%(30mins)
1/2 oz Cascade hops aau 5.7%(15 mins)
1/2 oz liberty hops aau 3.6%(5 mins)

i brewed this last weekend but on that batch i made a hops tea, i'm putting the hops in the wort this time.

Woops, my bad. Misread your earlier post - I thought that was for Eskram's recipe.

I remember you posting that hop schedule earlier. That's just crazy hops there :D

edit: not to derail the thread, but are you using whole leaf hops for the northern brewer? ie, the rest are pellet?

Walker said:
justbrewit, you REALLY seem to like hops, man. Maybe you should just roll up a big fat doobie of hop flowers and puff away. :) -walker

Sorry for the hijack.....Did you read (in another thread) that I made a hop tea using Cascade hops and no malt last weekend and the whole basement smelled like I'd been toking away all day. :drunk:

I was waiting for the doors to come crashing in. :mad:

Hey, BeeGee...

have you ever had Mash House's "Hoppy Hour IPA"? I can't imagine anything having more hop character than that, but I'd love to be proven wrong here!

-walker

Walker said:
Hey, BeeGee...

have you ever had Mash House's "Hoppy Hour IPA"? I can't imagine anything having more hop character than that, but I'd love to be proven wrong here!

I've had Hoppy Hour before, and sampled it recently at the Brewgrass Fest. Frostbite is hoppier...I don't actually even care for it, to be honest. Cottonwood also make Endo IPA (their emblem is a king, and on the Endo IPA he's wearing a mtb helmet) which is hoppy and delicioius.

i'm always searching for the hoppiest beer i can fine. had one that was called hops infusion that was pretty good. it had 7 types of hops. ever since a friend of mine got me into drinking good beer, i''ve always liked the hoppier beers. maybe one day i'll fine one that has too much hops for even me!!!!! i doubt it though!

Walker said:
justbrewit, you REALLY seem to like hops, man.

Maybe you should just roll up a big fat doobie of hop flowers and puff away. :)

Hmmm. . . I wonder if that would work out. I'v heard that they are closely related plants, the reef and the hopps. Probably beats bannana peals :cross:

Eskram: Your recipe looks a lot like Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, with a little more flavor hops. Good chit. :D

Someone mentioned Cottonwood's Endo IPA. I got some a while back, and was tempted to start a thread on it. Maybe the stuff I got was bad, but IMO, it was the crappiest example of an American IPA I've ever tasted. It tasted to me like a really stale Sierra Nevada pale ale. It ranks about the same as Redhook IPA in my book.

Maybe the stuff I got was bad....I dunno. I wouldn't buy it again, though.

Back