mmm bacon....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omggaybacon

Reaction score
has any1 ever made or heard of a bacon beer recipe? Was dreaming about bacon today, so I figured would ask the great minds on the internets if they knew of a bacon beer..

I am also interested in this. I was thinking a bacon bourbon porter might be tasty. Or bacon anything.

mm bourbon and bacon nomnomnomnom, I'm still kinda new to brewing but from my experience with oils and stuff ie: coffee f up my beers head. so i fig i need to find a way to extract the bacony goodness with no greasy's. Is that possible?

Don't know... I've not tried putting bacon into any of my brews yet... Not sure how long it will be before I do either. I'm working on more traditional flavor elements first... One day I'm sure I'll get around to bacon though... Doesn't everyone?

I'd thought of using something bacon flavored that didn't have oil. Like imitation bacon bits or something like that.

There was an issue of BYO a while ago that covered "breakfast beers", including a bacon beer.

Personally, I use Weyermann smoked malt (maybe with a touch of Briess cherrywood smoked malt for complexity) instead of meat to achieve a similar effect.

Don't know if she'll see this thread or not, but a friend/fellow HBT member actually made a bacon beer a few months ago and gave me a bottle. I believe it was a brown ale that she'd "dry hogged" (!) with a couple pounds of cooked bacon.

I must say, it was pretty interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd want 5 gallons of it (I think the brewer felt the same way). It smelled delicious - just like bacon - and the bacon taste definitely came through. But the "dry hogging" definitely screws with the carbonation, head retention and mouth feel, so it ended up being a little undercarbed and a lot over-slick.

Overall, it was impressively made, and a super cool idea, but it'd be hard to drink more than one bottle at a time, IMO.

My solution to these types of beers, have a favorite beer (IPA, Stout,etc.) and a BLT. And then the next time when you crave a Peanut Butter Stout, have a Stout with a Peanut Butter Sandwich. Why make things complex?

New to the forum but I'm actually going to brew an Imperial Maple Bacon Bourbon Stout tomorrow. The way I'm planning on getting the bacon flavor without the greasiness is by infusing some jack daniels with the bacon flavor. I'll cook about a pound of bacon, eat the actual bacon, then add the bacon grease, bits and all, into the bourbon for 2 weeks while the beer ferments in primary. Then I'm going to put the bacon bourbon in the freezer, thereby letting all the bacon grease rise to the top and freeze. Then I'll scoop all of it off and strain the bourbon through cheese cloth. At this time I'll add oak chips to the bacon bourbon and let that soak for a week. Then I'll add the bacon bourbon with oak chips to the secondary and let that sit for a couple weeks before kegging. What do you guys think? I was at a bar that infuses their whiskey with bacon this way, and it really imparts a nice bacony smokiness to it without the greasiness.

Made a Maple Bacon Oatmeal Stout and it was awesome

Please tell us more! This exact flavor idea has crossed my mind, having already done a decent Maple Oatmeal Stout. Why not add bacon and make the meal complete? :D

New to the forum but I'm actually going to brew an Imperial Maple Bacon Bourbon Stout tomorrow. The way I'm planning on getting the bacon flavor without the greasiness is by infusing some jack daniels with the bacon flavor. I'll cook about a pound of bacon, eat the actual bacon, then add the bacon grease, bits and all, into the bourbon for 2 weeks while the beer ferments in primary. Then I'm going to put the bacon bourbon in the freezer, thereby letting all the bacon grease rise to the top and freeze. Then I'll scoop all of it off and strain the bourbon through cheese cloth. At this time I'll add oak chips to the bacon bourbon and let that soak for a week. Then I'll add the bacon bourbon with oak chips to the secondary and let that sit for a couple weeks before kegging. What do you guys think? I was at a bar that infuses their whiskey with bacon this way, and it really imparts a nice bacony smokiness to it without the greasiness.

By far best idea I've read on this thread. Please let us know how it turns out aaaand the recipe!

nlfletch said:

Better make a double batch right away. We all will want a bottle! (for quality assurance purposes)

nlfletch said:

The only issue that I see with this is that bourbon and oak have pretty strong flavors, you may not get as much bacon flavor as you want and you may only get the smokieness from it, but that beimg said its always worth a shot.

You better get a bunch of coffee filters. I just did this with vodka and the bacon fat did not rise to the top and solidify. It just sort of congealed all throughout the vodka. I lost about 1/4 of the 750ml that I started with.

I just actually made up a stout and poured 5oz by weight of bacon vodka along with .2oz by weight hickory liquid smoke. During fermentation I used 24oz of grade B maple syrup. At bottling I used half DME and half maple syrup for carbonation. I'll let you know how it turns out in about three weeks as I just bottled it yesterday.

It's been sitting for about 3 days now, outside of the freezer, and it already looks like it has achieved fairly good separation. I can see the fat, about a half inch, sitting at the top of the pitcher.

Was this the case with your vodka smokinghole?

I was planning on filtering it with a cheesecloth, I'm wondering now if that might not be fine enough. I might have to go the coffee filter route.

Hey all,

I just bottled the maple bacon bourbon stout last night and let me tell you, it was tasting pretty good. I went ahead and cooked another half pound of bacon while the beer was still in primary and soaked it in the Jack for a night in the freezer. I then filtered the hell out of it with coffee filters and then dumped 8 oz. of oak chips in with it. That sat for about 5 days before we put it into secondary, oaked bacon bourbon and all. That sat for about a week and a half until last night when we bottled in 22's and corked belgians. We figured this beer would do much better in a bottle as it can age nicely. The first smell and taste were both pretty bourboney and you can definitely smell and taste the oak, but I'm banking on that mellowing out after a few weeks in a bottle (hopefully) and with carbonation and a lower serving temp. You definitely get the Gallena (2 oz. at 60 minutes) hop bitterness which balances the sweetness out nicely. The bacon very faintly comes through on the finish as a diacetyl-like, buttery/bacon fatty mouth feel. Not very prominent, but there if you're thinking about it. Overall, I think this beer is going to be really very tasty after it has had some time to bottle condition. I'll post again in a couple weeks when I crack the first bottle. Cheers!

The best way I have gotten bacon flavor is to:
1. fry your bacon up fairly crispy and soak up the fat on paper towels.
2. use a neutral spirit with the highest abv available "everclear"
3. put the bacon and neutral spirit in a mason jar but instead of using the metal lid use 2 coffee filters held down by the metal mason jar "screw ring"
3. let that junk sit until the bacon turns white and the spirit turns a whiskey color. ( can take weeks)
4. run it through fresh coffee filters and it should taste like liquid pig.

You can then add it to taste. 1 shot per gallon is a nice faint touch.

Good luck with your pig juice.

Pig juice! Hahahaha. Sounds amazing.

Bumping an old thread because I have a guys weekend at the end of June. They want me to try a bacon beer. I told them I'd look into it and see what I could figure out. I'm really not that interested in doing a large batch because I have a feeling it could be nasty. I'll probably just do a small one gallon batch and share the results.

Here's a question for anyone who has tried this. Since I have about a month, I don't have time to do a stout since it would need some more time to mature in the bottles. I need to do a beer that I could turn around in a month's time.

I'm thinking about doing a brown ale with some bacon flavor. Any suggestions?

Pig juice! Hahahaha. Sounds amazing.

Bumping an old thread because I have a guys weekend at the end of June. They want me to try a bacon beer. I told them I'd look into it and see what I could figure out. I'm really not that interested in doing a large batch because I have a feeling it could be nasty. I'll probably just do a small one gallon batch and share the results.

Here's a question for anyone who has tried this. Since I have about a month, I don't have time to do a stout since it would need some more time to mature in the bottles. I need to do a beer that I could turn around in a month's time.

I'm thinking about doing a brown ale with some bacon flavor. Any suggestions?

Skip the bacon and use a lot of Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. If you smell it, you'll know.

[edit] I just noticed I posted the same thing in this thread 3 years ago. Oh well.

What's the fun in "cheating?" :)

I think I add some bacon vodka at bottling and see what happens. Is there a good style of beer to combine with the bacon flavor? Again, I only have 4 weeks.

Back